OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Point of aim problems?

Started by WiLL B, March 05, 2013, 10:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiLL B

How many of you are having problems with point of aim vs point of impact with your turkey guns? I have three Rem 870's and a 12 year old Benelli SBE. My son has a five year old Benelli M1. They all hit just right with factory beads. Some of my friends have bought the Benelli SBE 2's with terrible poi and poa problems. They have had to put adjustable sights on them to use them for turkeys. I have heard some of you talk about it also. I'm glad I don't need one but at this point I would be scared to buy a new Benelli! Just wondering what other makes a prone to this problem also. I had a Mossy 835 that shot low but I got rid of it. Thats the only shotgun I've personally owned that was off.

paboxcall

I had a Mossberg 500 that threw the center pattern consistently 3-4 inches left and 2-3 inches low.  Aftermarket fiber optic sights on the rib had the windage pushed as far as possible and it still hit left of center.

I no longer have the Mossberg 500.

I have an old H&R single NWTF edition dipped in original Bottomland that throws the center pattern just a bit low, just need to float the factory bead a bit high on the neck or head at 40 yards. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

zeke632

I've got a Win SX2 that shoots low & left. (I really don't like the SX2 and am gonna sell it after this spring)  Also have a BPS that shoots low. I put sights on them and they work fine. However, I wish I would have kept several guns that I've had over the years that I just looked down the barrel and used the bead.

I guess I'm just weird. But I refuse to use a shotgun with a scope, or one of the aim point deals that are on the market today...I'm really not fond of the rifle sight on my guns now. But I can live with that better than worrying about missing a turkey.

Longshanks

I have had several beretta shotguns that shot great with factory chokes but once I put the super tight turkey chokes in and run high powered shells, mainly 3.5 inch shells/hevi shot, then the POI/POA problems begin. Don't know if its the over choking/ pressure, barrel harmonics, or the type of shot wads. Quality of the choke could have something to do with it. I've seen less problems with this using Pure Gold chokes.

WiLL B

I have found a couple of chokes that threw the pattern off also. Took one back and swapped out for another that shot just fine. I just took one back for a refund.

strutter

I have a Win 1300 that shot to the right , tried adjustable sights to no avail then got a bushnell red dot and it works great now POI=POA.