OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SSX for 835

Started by twild, March 04, 2013, 01:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twild

Does anyone have a picture of this choke? I just got the one I orderd, it fits just fine but does not look like the pic of the one I orderd. Kind of hard to explainand don't know how to post a pic {wifes in bed} . You have the ring that screws tight to the barrel, then a slimmer area where all of the info is stamped on, then the area going up to the ports.  On my choke the area going to the ports, including the ports is only 3/4 of an inch long. The whole  choke only sticks out of the barrel 1 1/4 inch. The pic's that I havve seen and the one I orderd looked to have been twice that. Wondering if they have changed the choke? Mine looks more like the berretta benili moble choke, on the all about shooting site ,even though I know it's not the threading is different. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

ILIKEHEVI-13

If it screws in your barrel and the package says strut stooper xtreme, I would say you more than likely have a SSX. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: twild on March 04, 2013, 01:56:48 AM
Does anyone have a picture of this choke? I just got the one I orderd, it fits just fine but does not look like the pic of the one I orderd. Kind of hard to explainand don't know how to post a pic {wifes in bed} . You have the ring that screws tight to the barrel, then a slimmer area where all of the info is stamped on, then the area going up to the ports.  On my choke the area going to the ports, including the ports is only 3/4 of an inch long. The whole  choke only sticks out of the barrel 1 1/4 inch. The pic's that I havve seen and the one I orderd looked to have been twice that. Wondering if they have changed the choke? Mine looks more like the berretta benili moble choke, on the all about shooting site ,even though I know it's not the threading is different. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Most of the choke goes inside the barrel on the 835/935 so the extended portion is much shorter than on the Win-Choke, Rem-Choke or Benelli-Mobil choke tube. If you have the TG151X you have the SSX. It's a great choke by the way.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

packmule

I have SSX chokes for an Inv + gun and for a 835, as Clark described above, the 835 choke is much shorter (beyond the end of the barrel) than the Inv + choke.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: packmule on March 04, 2013, 10:23:38 AM
I have SSX chokes for an Inv + gun and for a 835, as Clark described above, the 835 choke is much shorter (beyond the end of the barrel) than the Inv + choke.

One thing to note is that all 12 gauge SSX chokes have the same overall length. The difference is the length that extends beyond the muzzle.

Thanks,
Clark

twild

Thanks guys. It has the right model # on it. It just didn't look anything like the picture when Iorderd. I played with it yesterday alittle bit. Hopefully I can find something It likes. I've decided I want to stay with lead. I tried 3" thug 6's and 5's,win sup 3" 5& 6 andWin sup 3 1/2 4's. It Didn't come close to my comp & choke xxx or card tube. But I was just shooting at a turkey head target on a piece of computer paper. When it warms up I'll get out the 4x4 cardboard, get the scope put on and get serious. I just got excited when a new toy showd up Ihad to go out in the snow and play.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I thought I would let you guys know and Clark probably can shed more light on this topic than I.  But I just read in a turkey hunting magazine today at the store that the TruGlo SSX is the winner of 10 NWTF Still Target World Championships.  The TruGlo SSX choke is holder of 6 world records.  Now that is saying something. 

twild

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 04, 2013, 04:33:57 PM
I thought I would let you guys know and Clark probably can shed more light on this topic than I.  But I just read in a turkey hunting magazine today at the store that the TruGlo SSX is the winner of 10 NWTF Still Target World Championships.  The TruGlo SSX choke is holder of 6 world records.  Now that is saying something.
Yes it did say that on the package. I've heard good things about it on here. I've been shooting the same setup for probably 10 years and it worked great. wanted to drop down to a 3" shell { tired of prying my shoulder out of the tree everytime I shoot}. So I'm sure it will take some experimenting to find the right combo again, but that's part of the fun of it. Hell in a couple of years I'll start looking into a 20 gauge.

TrackeySauresRex

I might have to get one myself,since I cant find an old stardot.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

allaboutshooting

That information is correct. Since 2004 it has never failed to be in the "final four" in the World Championships. Roger Burrell also shot the highest score ever shot with a 3" Hevi-13 shotshell in any sanctioned competition. No one has even come close to that record shot.

Even more importantly to most of us, when I see the patterns that are shot in competition they are shot with out of the package SSX chokes, and they are good even patterns. We only count the 3" circles but I see some 10" patterns that any of us would be proud of as the "best" 10" pattern on big paper.

Thanks,
Clark

ILIKEHEVI-13

Clark,

Is it true that Roger still hold the world record with the SSX and Moss 835? 

And I know they just shoot 3" Hevi-13 #6 loads in the NWTF Still Target shoots, buy how do you think the 3.5" shells would do with the bigger payload?  And my last question is there any future plans for akllowing Hevi-13 #7 loads into a category at these shoots and keep it separate from the other records already in place?  Just curious to how the Hevi-13 #7 in 3" or 3.5" would do. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 05, 2013, 06:26:05 PM
Clark,

Is it true that Roger still hold the world record with the SSX and Moss 835? 

And I know they just shoot 3" Hevi-13 #6 loads in the NWTF Still Target shoots, buy how do you think the 3.5" shells would do with the bigger payload?  And my last question is there any future plans for akllowing Hevi-13 #7 loads into a category at these shoots and keep it separate from the other records already in place?  Just curious to how the Hevi-13 #7 in 3" or 3.5" would do.

I'd have to check to make sure which gun he was shooting at the time. Roger shot 835s and later a 935 along with several other guns including some custom guns. I saw Roger and his son Byron both shoot amazing patterns/scores with those guns.

He also introduced the modified Savage bolt guns to the competition. He was the first to bring one of those guns to the championship and now you see very many of them there.

The folks who score targets at the World Championship would probably want to kill me if I suggested #7 shot. They nearly go blind from looking at all of the targets and counting all those little holes for 2 days as it is.

I came on the scene to that competition in 2000 and before H.S. that year, the scores were pretty low. No one ever envisioned that someone might put so many pellets in a little 3" circle. In 2000 Claude Kinsler set a new world record by putting 42 H.S. pellets in that circle and whole world changed. Everyone sat up and took notice.

I'll see what I can find out about what Roger was shooting.

Thanks,
Clark

ILIKEHEVI-13

Clark,

Thanks.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's I believe it was at these NWTF shoots when it was lead only that Comp-n-Choke and Kicks Gobblin Thunder was the choke that was setting the records or winning using Winchester #6 turkey loads.  Maybe that now explains to a lot of us why Charlie Boswell who owns both companies hates Hevi-Shot.  LOL! 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 05, 2013, 06:55:16 PM
Clark,

Thanks.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's I believe it was at these NWTF shoots when it was lead only that Comp-n-Choke and Kicks Gobblin Thunder was the choke that was setting the records or winning using Winchester #6 turkey loads.  Maybe that now explains to a lot of us why Charlie Boswell who owns both companies hates Hevi-Shot.  LOL!

As I recall, Charlie won in 1997, 1998 and 1999, using his choke and Winchester ammo of the day. He was an excellent shooter. He quit shooting still targets after 2000 but still came and shot sporting clays. In those days the still target shoot was combined with a sporting clays shoot and the event was held in Forsyth, GA. We shot for 3 days.

On Friday and Saturday from about 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. and then on Sunday until the championship rounds were finished, usually about 5:00 p.m. or so. That all took place in August when temperatures hovered around 100 most of the time. We shot on a high point in the middle of the sporting clays course, no shade and lots of red clay dust from all of the sporting shooters whizzing by on golf carts.

Those were the days!

Thanks,
Clark

ILIKEHEVI-13

I guess my timeframe took me back farther than what I remember it to be.  I remember the magazine ads for Comp-n-Choke stating the choke that won the NWTF Still Shoot Championship and then Kicks winning it and the same type ad then back to Comp-n-Choke or vice versa.  I still think Charlie had some business partnership or money coming in from Winchester.