Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any ideas on a Weatherby ssa-08 20 gauge??

Started by cassga, March 05, 2011, 07:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassga

Picked up a Weatherby ss-08 20 gauge, with a 24" barrel the other day, and thinking about using as a backup this year.  There is plenty of info on choke and shell combos on some of the more popular makes and models, but I dont see anything for this gun.  Does anyone have any experience or recommend a choke and shell combo for this gun? Thanks in advance.

TrkyHntr

I think that gun will take the invector chokes, same as mossberg, winchester, etc.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

cassga

Thats what I was told. I was hoping someone on here had some experience with this gun and could offer some advise on a choke/shell combo. 

FLTurkey

This is the gun I carry to the woods.  Mine has a 26" barrel and I am currently shooting a I.C. Choke with H13 3" #6.  I have found that the 6's are giving me good patterns (don't have #'s).  I would try the 7's but can't get them are here. 

I use the gun for everything I hunt and enjoy the weight and feel of the gun.

John

cassga

Quote from: FLTurkey on March 07, 2011, 09:40:05 AM
This is the gun I carry to the woods.  Mine has a 26" barrel and I am currently shooting a I.C. Choke with H13 3" #6.  I have found that the 6's are giving me good patterns (don't have #'s).  I would try the 7's but can't get them are here. 

I use the gun for everything I hunt and enjoy the weight and feel of the gun.

John

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. What is the constriction on that choke?

FLTurkey

Stoner

I was looking at the same gun for my daughter but ended up getting her a 20 GA in a Remington 87-11 in a camo pattern. The Weatherby 20 GA is made in Turkey. I wanted an American made gun. I purchased a Carlson Turkey Choke Tube for her gun. You maybe able clarify this, I cannot remember if it was the Weatherby 20GA or another gun that you had to change the gas cyclinder when you were shooting high or low-brass shells. Probably not a big deal, I just did not want to keep of with the extra gas cyclinder. The Weatherby is a pretty firearm.

FLTurkey

I have never had to change out the cylinder.  I shot dove and duck loads this winter without doing anything.  Shot great.

John