OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoys for opening week

Started by noggin buster, March 03, 2013, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whats te best choice for opening week

Full Strut
6 (18.2%)
Jake mounting a hen
1 (3%)
jake with a hen
15 (45.5%)
one lone hen
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: March 13, 2013, 07:15:57 PM

noggin buster

How many are using full strut decoys vs Jake and a hen or just a lone hen.

noggin buster

I picke up a Full strut decoy. I shortend the beard and put a jake fan in it. Could it stilll be a threat to a 2 year old bird? Im taking my wife out opening morning on a plowed powerline that the birds have been using. Should i leave the strutter in the truck ??????

northms

I know a lot of people who don't like the strutter because it could scare some birds away.  I like to use it year round where I hunt in pastures and fields just because it's seen from very far away.  In my personal experience the number of birds that have come in gun range vs the ones that have been scared is about 100-1.  I've only had one gobbler not come in and hang up to gobble at it.

It's your choice. 

Garrett Trentham

Strutters work well earlier in the season. When I am setting up on a field gobbler, I like to use a strutter and a submissive hen. Later in the season when things are winding down, especially later in the day, I will use a jake and hen or a lone hen.

The biggest plus of using a strutter, for me, is visibility. I can make mine spin, this adds movement that the birds pick up on from a long ways off.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

birdyhunter

Quote from: Garrett Trentham on March 04, 2013, 08:04:23 PM
Strutters work well earlier in the season. When I am setting up on a field gobbler, I like to use a strutter and a submissive hen. Later in the season when things are winding down, especially later in the day, I will use a jake and hen or a lone hen.

The biggest plus of using a strutter, for me, is visibility. I can make mine spin, this adds movement that the birds pick up on from a long ways off.
x2

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

pdaugherty

I prefer a quarter strut jake and a few hens. Maybe one submissive hen and one feeder, that many decoys may be a lot to carry but it's hard for a gobbler to resist a jake who's got two of his hens with him.