turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Thug Loads- Copperplated?

Started by TheSportsman, March 02, 2013, 11:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Are these loads copperplated like the winchester loads are?

appalachianstruttstopper

Nope, high antimony buffered lead with pedal type wad like old federal premium.

TheSportsman

so would you rather have that or something thats copperplated?

appalachianstruttstopper

My 535 prefers the winchester copper #6's, but the #6 thugs got me about 90 hits on printer paper @ 40 which is a good pattern. My friends remington 1100 prefers the thugs over the winchester. For $10 a box, it wouldn't hurt to see how they done. Copper plated shot does penetrate a little better, but 40yds and closer the dead turkey is not going to know the difference.

nhhunter722

Appalachianstruttstopper which choke are you using in your 535? I'm looking for pattern like yours. We hunt woods birds here in NH where there is less pressure. Lead loads are abundant arounds here. Like you said not looking for a baseball size pattern at 20 yds because most of the time birds are 35 yds and closer when we shoot. I just purchased my 535, polished the barrel yesterday came out great like glass. Havent put any loads through it yet. Thanks for any advice you can tell me.

BandedSpur

CP lead penetrates better than unplated lead only to the extent that it is more sperical, i.e. deformed less. The main advantage to CP is to improve patterns (again largely because of less deformation). Only way to know which will pattern better is to shoot them and see. Inside 35 yds, it will make no difference whatsoever, either will smoke a turkey.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: nhhunter722 on March 03, 2013, 06:51:07 AM
Appalachianstruttstopper which choke are you using in your 535? I'm looking for pattern like yours. We hunt woods birds here in NH where there is less pressure. Lead loads are abundant arounds here. Like you said not looking for a baseball size pattern at 20 yds because most of the time birds are 35 yds and closer when we shoot. I just purchased my 535, polished the barrel yesterday came out great like glass. Havent put any loads through it yet. Thanks for any advice you can tell me.

I have a few chokes like stardot and undertaker, but the factory x factor has a slight edge over the others. I have the 20" version of 535 and was real pleased with the results I got from the #6 thugs and #6 1 7/8 winchesters. I like a gun that likes cheap shells. lol

nhhunter722

The x factor choke is ported correct? .670

appalachianstruttstopper