turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trying to decide on a choke

Started by heath42, March 02, 2013, 11:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heath42

So after some researching I think I've narrowed my first choke purchase to either the TruGlo Bonecollector or SSX, or trying to find a Star Dot. Just bought a brand new 835 w/ 24" ported barrel and plan to shoot the Hevi 13's 3.5-2.25-#7. Ya'll think those are good options? If not, I'm welcome to any suggestions. Love the site btw, learning a lot!
Thanks,
Heath

allaboutshooting

Quote from: heath42 on March 02, 2013, 11:17:48 AM
So after some researching I think I've narrowed my first choke purchase to either the TruGlo Bonecollector or SSX, or trying to find a Star Dot. Just bought a brand new 835 w/ 24" ported barrel and plan to shoot the Hevi 13's 3.5-2.25-#7. Ya'll think those are good options? If not, I'm welcome to any suggestions. Love the site btw, learning a lot!
Thanks,
Heath

Welcome! You should do well with either of those chokes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 02, 2013, 11:55:21 AM
Thanks,
Heath

Thanks,
Clark

I agree with Clark. 

Hey Clark, I know what the SSX will do even though I only shot that choke a few times when it was 45 degrees out.  But the first shot was 312 followed by 287 on that day when that brand new SSX .670 choke put a whipping on my Star Dot.  Now my 2 questions for you is this.  So you think the SSX on a 70 to say 75 degree day when my Star Dot seems to shoot so dang well with these 3.5" #7 loads if it would be possible that the TruGlo SSX would rival the Star Dot patterns since it whipped it previously? I sold that choke and shouldn't have.  One of the best shooting chokes I have personally seen as of late in the 835.  Next question and I know mightyjoeyoung posted a killer like 355 in a 10" with the new Bone Collector 835 choke, but can you tell me other that the slotted ports that runs perpiendicular on the choke what is different on the Bone Collector vs the SSX?  I know the SSX choke has the groove ring that runs through the choke that supposed to work as a wad stripper. 

Thank you so much in advance. 

Brad

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll post what I honestly believe was one of the best cooler weather patterns I have seen.  Hard to top this at 45 degrees.  Star Dot left with its head between its legs.  LOL!  Next shot was still 287 which still whipped the one or two I shot with the Star Dot that day.

heath42

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 02, 2013, 11:55:21 AM
Thanks,
Heath

Thanks,
Clark
Thanks for the reply, I'll have to wait till next week to pull the trigger on one but I might be leaning towards the SSX and bonecollector after seeing those numbers Ilikehevi-13 and mightyjoeyoung are posting up  :drool:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Heath,

Let me save you some money my friend.  I challenge you to find it cheaper anywhere, and believe me I have looked. 

http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com/Brands/Truglo-Choke-Tubes/TRUGLO-Strut-Stopper-Xtreme-Choke-Tube-Mossberg-TG151X

BrowningGuy88

Any of those should be good. Pure gold, Indian Creek, or sumToy are also great chokes.

heath42

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 02, 2013, 12:27:42 PM
Heath,

Let me save you some money my friend.  I challenge you to find it cheaper anywhere, and believe me I have looked. 

http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com/Brands/Truglo-Choke-Tubes/TRUGLO-Strut-Stopper-Xtreme-Choke-Tube-Mossberg-TG151X
Haha I appreciate it! As far as I can tell that's the cheapest I've seen too. Man its tempting!  :'(

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: heath42 on March 02, 2013, 01:38:33 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 02, 2013, 12:27:42 PM
Heath,

Haha I appreciate it! As far as I can tell that's the cheapest I've seen too. Man its tempting!  :'(

I just wished I would of kept mine.  I was going to buy another someday at that price, but since I won the Pure Gold choke here I was kind of wanting to try it out.  I'm having Bill Davis make me a .675 to see if it will shoot better than the previous .670 I had at one time.  The .670 Pure Gold would shoot some awesome 20" patterns though.  But I had the Star Dot .676 that just throws tremendous 20" numbers and the 10" are mind boggling.  And they are very much repeatable in 70 degree weather.     

ILIKEHEVI-13

The only thing I hate about the TruGlo chokes are they are made in China. 

heath42

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 02, 2013, 02:14:21 PM
The only thing I hate about the TruGlo chokes are they are made in China.
True, same here. Is colonial arms in Bay Minette? I live close by and have been debating on whether or not I should go and see if I could talk to one of them about their chokes ;)

ILIKEHEVI-13

Heath,

I have been trying to communicate with the owner about the original Star Dot chokes that Colonial Arms did in fact make.  I have personally ask her to find and original Star Dot choke that they made and duplicate it exactly ports and all so that it should shoot pretty much like the original Star Dot chokes that shot so well in the 835.  Myles here said he bought one of their extra full turkey chokes that look pretty much like the old star Dot choke and it didn't shoot nearly as well as the original one he has.  The owner told me last year that these turkey chokes they have should be about identical to the original Star Dot chokes.  I just sent her another email to do this.  I even ask her to put on the package once this has been done the original Star Dot choke.  It clearly says this on their website under about us. 

Your needs and wants are extremely important to us and we are appreciative of any suggestions you may have concerning our products or ideas for future design or customer wants.

So I hope she gets back to me.  So that's about all I can tell you as of now.  I personally don't know.  But I do know Myles is one smart cookie, and that he has some of the exact same lot # 300325 #7 loads like I have that shoot so damn good out of the Star Dot choke.  He shot one of those shells 1 time with his new Colonial Arms choke and did 250 in the 10" at 40yds.  He has put over 340 in the 10" with that same lot # shell with his original Star Dot. 

Brad

heath42

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 02, 2013, 03:23:55 PM
Heath,

I have been trying to communicate with the owner about the original Star Dot chokes that Colonial Arms did in fact make.  I have personally ask her to find and original Star Dot choke that they made and duplicate it exactly ports and all so that it should shoot pretty much like the original Star Dot chokes that shot so well in the 835.  Myles here said he bought one of their extra full turkey chokes that look pretty much like the old star Dot choke and it didn't shoot nearly as well as the original one he has.  The owner told me last year that these turkey chokes they have should be about identical to the original Star Dot chokes.  I just sent her another email to do this.  I even ask her to put on the package once this has been done the original Star Dot choke.  It clearly says this on their website under about us. 

Your needs and wants are extremely important to us and we are appreciative of any suggestions you may have concerning our products or ideas for future design or customer wants.

So I hope she gets back to me.  So that's about all I can tell you as of now.  I personally don't know.  But I do know Myles is one smart cookie, and that he has some of the exact same lot # 300325 #7 loads like I have that shoot so damn good out of the Star Dot choke.  He shot one of those shells 1 time with his new Colonial Arms choke and did 250 in the 10" at 40yds.  He has put over 340 in the 10" with that same lot # shell with his original Star Dot. 

Brad
Hmm, maybe if enough people ask about them they will listen.  Might have to shoot them an email as well. 
Thanks for your efforts and insight
-Heath

ILIKEHEVI-13

Heath,

Your welcome. 

And I strongly recommend anyone here who reads this and wants an original Star Dot choke to do what I said above as well.  Email the owener and tell her to duplcicate exactly the old origianal Star Dot 835 chokes, and then label the package the original Star Dot choke. 

heath42

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 02, 2013, 04:06:46 PM
Heath,

Your welcome. 

And I strongly recommend anyone here who reads this and wants an original Star Dot choke to do what I said above as well.  Email the owener and tell her to duplcicate exactly the old origianal Star Dot 835 chokes, and then label the package the original Star Dot choke.
Just shot them an email saying the same. Hopefully they will listen!