News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

FCW and ported chokes

Started by Number17, March 01, 2013, 09:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

I patterned a bunch of different loads today from my 870 Express 3"
My best choke was an old Hastings Compensator (smoked my Star Dot).
I had a few Federal Loads with the FCW that I hadn't shot because I always heard they don't like ported chokes.
To my surprise with three shots at 40 yards I watched the wad bounce of the target hard and come back towards me. I had a very tight 137, 149, and 161 in a 10"  circle with 2oz of #6 in a 3" load.
The best I did with Winchester loads were in the low 120s for 2oz, 101 for 1.75oz.

Has anyone else gone against the grain and seen good numbers with Fed FCW and a ported choke?
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

Shoulder hurts by the way and the new Fast Fire is centered and ready.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Ruger M77

Everybody seems to hate them but I wanna try some of them in my 870 with my jellyhead 665. Those are some great numbers you got! What constriction is your hastings choke?
I eat therefore I hunt

ericjames

I have been wondering this also, I am gonna shoot some out of my pure gold .670 for my 835 after it warms back up next week

surehuntsalot

alot of guys hate the fcw,but I don't mind it.
I got a .710 full choke tube for my 835 that loves the fcw
I got a 3" Rem.1100 with a fixed full choke that loves them also

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

wvcurlytop

I love them as they shoot really well in my mossberg 835.  If they shot that well I wouldn't care nor worry what others thought.  A dead bird over your shoulder will silence ALL critics..

Rockhound

I shot the 3-1/2 #5 out of my 835 with a kicks 660 and got around 150. The 3" #5 will do around 120 with my mossy 550 mkii and A kicks 660

Number17

Quote from: Ruger M77 on March 01, 2013, 09:22:53 PM
Everybody seems to hate them but I wanna try some of them in my 870 with my jellyhead 665. Those are some great numbers you got! What constriction is your hastings choke?

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

ericjames

Quote from: Number17 on March 02, 2013, 08:15:38 AM
Quote from: Ruger M77 on March 01, 2013, 09:22:53 PM

That's good to hear, I had a friend shoot a 3.5 - 1 7/8 - 7 federal heavyweight and a 3.5 - 2 - 6  turkey thug shell through my pure gold and I think he mixed the shells up on the shot. Because the numbers didn't add up one shot had smaller holes and 177 in the 10 @ 40 range finder yards and the other was like 131. He came to my house telling me that the 177 was the turkey thug. I also tried to show him the holes were smaller in the target with the 177. If I am right the pure gold will shoot the flight control wad good. I went over to my pond where he shot it at and was weed eating and hit the flight control wad at the target stand so the wad did its job. I was just trying to tell him he might need to shoot it again to make sure because he keeps saying that the flight control wad want shoot through a ported choke.

Matt81302

I shot some yesterday out of my 835 with Jellyhead and Moss. turkey choke that came with the gun. 3 1/2 #5 with FCW out of Jellyhead only had 88 hits in 10in. circle at 40. I put the Moss. choke in it and got 109 hits. This was done with a dirty barrel. I plan to clean it really good and try again.

Michigander

109 with #5, thats pretty decent.

appalachianstruttstopper

I have used them for years in my 3.5 auto, honestly they are to tight of a pattern for me. I have a ported colonial arms 665 and federal fcw 3.5-2.25-#6's I would miss turkeys inside 35yds.

PALongspur

I know lots of people who have shot them through ported chokes with no problems and excellent results. I also don't mind the wad, they work well for me.

Several of my buddies also shoot Black Cloud through ported waterfowl chokes also and have never had a problem.