Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most exciting thing turkey hunting is..........

Started by reflexl, March 01, 2013, 06:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

Having one 20 yards to your left behind bushes drumming for a solid hour. I thought I would have a heart attack before he got to a place that I could shoot him. reflexl

coyotetrpr

Had one 10 feet away once. There was a mosquito sucking juice out of the corner of my eye and I could not move. My buddy thought it would be fun to make a soft call and the bird gobbled right in my face. By far the most intense moment in the turkey woods for me.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

TN Beard Buster

What about sitting there and not hearing anything,so you decide to hit a call and low and behold there is one standing 5ft behind your tree and he gobbles? If that doesn't make your bowels nearly release I don't know what will! Had that happen to me on a few hunts over the years! It never gets old!

redarrow

First time I had one spit drum 3 feet from my blind. Then he gobbled at the sound of the blind zipper coming down. He ain't gobblin no more.

deerhunt1988

spittin and drummin when he is within range but you can't see him...you just hope you have your gun pointed where he pops out!

reflexl

Quote from: TN Beard Buster on March 01, 2013, 07:18:01 PM
What about sitting there and not hearing anything,so you decide to hit a call and low and behold there is one standing 5ft behind your tree and he gobbles? If that doesn't make your bowels nearly release I don't know what will! Had that happen to me on a few hunts over the years! It never gets old!

I know exactly how that feels! Year before last I had sat right in between two hens that I didn't know were there. They saw me move and started all manner of non-sense before flying down in the field behind me. I called a little then decided to cool it and let things settle down. How the two gobblers got behind me I dont know. I finally decided it was time to try it (calling) and they gobbled and rattled my fillings. Scared the fire out of me. Fortunately I didn't jump. They came around to me left and out in the field a t which time I lowered the boom on one of them. Turned out to be a double beared 3 year old.

strut2

When you have one hammering and he is getting closer. That's my favorite part when I know they are coming and the anticipation of see him.. Nothing like it!

WickedBama

Having a tom spittin and drummin and you cant see him yet
Live For It!

birdyhunter

Having 3 long beards gobble heir heads off within 30 yards and not wanting the show to end so you just wait....and wait.....and wait. Then shoot one in the face at 10 steps. Had them all dead to right for 5+ minutes. Coolest thing I've ever seen in the woods.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

BrowningGuy88

Having a bird roosted and a perfect set-up. Watching him gobble and strut on the limb waiting for him to pitch down.

Then lowering the boom on him as soon as his feet touch the ground!!!

Garrett Trentham

When you're in the woods and a bird gobbles within twenty yards of you and you can feel it.

There's something about being close to a strutting gobbler on a spring day. It's like being in the presence of a ghost.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

tomstopper

Quote from: TN Beard Buster on March 01, 2013, 07:18:01 PM
this for sure. This is what got me addicted to turkey hunting since age 13. I did not see or hear one coming to my inexperienced calling & was packing things up when one cut loose with a gobble that scared the living crap right out of me. I was lucky & after taking that gobbler, I was hooked for life......

redleg06

Hearing him cut the distance to your set up and that first moment when you see him....

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Tail Feathers

The rush of a big old gobble 15 yards in front of your gub barrel! :gobble:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!