OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What kind of paper numbers should I expect?

Started by mossyoak79, February 28, 2013, 09:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoak79

I have an older Remington 870 SM Advantage Camo, I've decided to do an overhaul on it. . . in years past i've killed birds with it but not at long range I just shot standard #6 shot winchester lead with the factory remington choke tube.  I have a rhino .660 ordered for it, just got my knoxx gen II nrs spec ops stock and the gun is currently at the gun smiths getting drilled and tapped for my FFIII, as well as lengthenging the force cone and polishing the entire barrel.  I guess my question is what kind of paper numbers should I look for?  I have mag blend to try as well as hevi 13 #6's and #7's.  Also have federal flight control wad shells to try.  All ammunition is 3.5" 2 1/4oz 12 gauge.

davisd9

I would say 200 - 250 would be a safe guess.  May out shoot those numbers with the 7s. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mossyoak79

would the 7's kill a bird at say 50 or even 60 yards potentially?

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: mossyoak79 on February 28, 2013, 10:50:39 AM

Not on Old Gobbler. We limit discussions to a 40 yard max. After that it is up to your judgement.

gophert

davisd9

Hope you would never shoot a bird at 60 yards intentionally, but they have all the energy you need and a little more at 40 yards.  I personally like the 6s in my 12 ga, but run the 7s in my 20 with no hesitation to take a 40 yard shot.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: mossyoak79 on February 28, 2013, 10:50:39 AM

I wouldn't trust 7s past 50.

In a high density pattern, 6's will flatten them at 60 if you have an "accident." ;)

Old gobbler forbids discussion of deliberate shots over 40 yards.  If you want to discuss capabilities beyond 40 yards more thoroughly, I recommend looking at gobbler nation and engaging the wealth of shotshell resources over there.

In your gun with barrel work, a good choke and a 3.5" load, I'd expect h13 2.25 ounce 6s to post somewhere between 220-250 pellets in the 10".

mossyoak79

Thanks for the answers guys. . . sorry about the question, I'm new to bird hunting and last year I made an honest misjudgement thought the bird was around 40 and ended up being 47yds my gun and choke combo last year wasn't the best. 

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: mossyoak79 on February 28, 2013, 01:15:22 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. . . sorry about the question, I'm new to bird hunting and last year I made an honest misjudgement thought the bird was around 40 and ended up being 47yds my gun and choke combo last year wasn't the best.

That happends to all of us at one time or another and why we all try to maximize our patterns. The way most of us look at it is at the distance I can consistently hold 100 pellets in a 10" circle I can kill a turkey.

I prefer #6 shot in Hevi and Fed HWT and #5's in lead personally.

wingbonehntr

I have the exact same gun and choke. I am getting an average of 260 with hevi 7s,220 with mag blends and 200 with hevi 6s.