OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which Bird To Go After?

Started by strut2, February 27, 2013, 08:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut2

When listening at first light you hear multiple birds sounding off. How do you determine which bird to go after?? Obviously there are a number of things that you try to figure out. Example: listening for hens, terrain, different side of the river, which bird is the hotter bird. Those are just a few examples but I often catch myself trying to figure out which bird to go after. I hunt public ground so I often wonder if another hunter has moved on that bird or move quick to get te best possible set up on that bird Incase another hunter moves in on that same bird. Or do you try to put yourself somewhere in between all the birds and wait for fly down to see what one is hammering if any are after fly down. There are a lot of things to consider. Sometimes I guess right sometimes wrong but what's wondering what goes through your head at first light with multiple birds sounding off. And how you determine which bird to go after.

redleg06

I think the terrain/ how well I'll be able to approach is usually the first thing that goes thru my mind in that situation.  My thought process is that it doesnt matter how hard he's gobbling if I cant get to a good spot to kill him/engage him without him seeing me.  The other part of that is that if it's a bird I've scouted out and have a decent idea of his general pattern then I'm more likely to go after him first because my familiarity may give me a better chance to bag him. 

Lots of things go in to it but terrain/approachability and my familiarity with a particular birds' pattern is probably my top priority.

TurkeyTom

To me, it depends on how well I know the bird.

If I have scouted him and know where he likes to go off the roost, I'll try to set up there and take him when he comes to my call. The best callers are the ones that call the bird into where he wants to go.

If I haven't scouted him out, I often times try to get between a couple of gobbling Toms and make them compete for me. I don't care if they have hens or not in that case.  I try to mimic the flock with aggressive hen calls and I routinely use a kee kee run and also a fighting purr in the case.

Every trip to the turkey woods is different. 

jakebird

It's common to hear multiple birds gobbling on the roost within hearing. It's also very common for most of them to clam up after fly down. I'll sit at my setup a while and give a bird time to work in, but many times the bulk of them will have hens or another destination in mind . However it seems there will be one that seems to still be interested in my calls after the others fade away . This one makes the decision easy . He may come to my first setup or i may have to move on him, but this bird wins over my attention until further development. Always choose the one who seems most interested especially if he closes some distance initially . That bird has shown enough interest to come part way and Im betting he isn't henned up or if he is, the hens may be interested and he'll follow them in . Sometimes this bird gets hung up on terrain but he's interested and if you can relocate to eliminate the hang up you got a fair chance of killing him .
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

J Hook Max

I would opt for the bird gobbling the most. My experience is that they are less likely to have their hens close by. This is provided the terrain will allow your approach and that he is not a mile away.
That said, I have had much more success by getting into a gobbler's known roost area very early and focusing on that one bird, not caring if I even hear another bird gobble. I think by doing this, you have a better chance to call to him before he gets with any hens.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Best gobbling bird in the best position to hunt effectively.

bosstom3

Thats simple, I just sit back and let you figure it out......hahaha.....that is until Oklahoma, cause out there you will owe me a juicy steak.........little side bet between us.  :TooFunny:

El Pavo Grande

"eeney meeny miny moe....and you are not it."  Deadly strategy!!!

Duke0002

Quote from: redleg06 on February 27, 2013, 08:45:30 AM
I think the terrain/ how well I'll be able to approach is usually the first thing that goes thru my mind in that situation.  My thought process is that it doesnt matter how hard he's gobbling if I cant get to a good spot to kill him/engage him without him seeing me.  The other part of that is that if it's a bird I've scouted out and have a decent idea of his general pattern then I'm more likely to go after him first because my familiarity may give me a better chance to bag him. 

Lots of things go in to it but terrain/approachability and my familiarity with a particular birds' pattern is probably my top priority.

x2.   Most of my hunting is done on the edge of hayfields, sitting in a thin strip of tree line.  Can't hunt the woods behind me.  Tough to move on birds roosted near the fields without them seeing me.  Have to call occasionally and wait until 9:30 or later when birds come into the fields to chow down.

Michigander

I like to setup right between them and call as loud and as often as I can, that way they both come running. Isn't that how everybody else does it on public land? :bike2: