News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the longest distance you've...

Started by barry, February 26, 2013, 02:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

...ever heard a bird spit and drum?

Several years ago a friend and I were set up on the field in the photo. Dekes are 25 yards from our setup and the edge of the woods in the background are about another 100 yards. Late one morning we got a bird to gobble from that patch of woods. He was in his strut zone about 75 yards up in the woods and we could catch a glimpse of him every now and then strutting back and forth. We could also hear him spit & drum clear as day and he was right at 200 yards away!

Were the conditions just right for the sound to carry or was this a loud strutter? It was late in the season and we were well into spring "green up."

vaturkey

Hey Barry

First of all, I hope you killed that gobbler. Before I lost some of my hearing from all the years in the paper mill I could hear a gobbler spit & drum from a pretty good distance. I think the conditions were perfect to hear one from 200 yards away. On a good calm day I can hear one from about 100 yards or so.

Ricky   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

RutnNStrutn

The furthest I've heard one was about 100 yards away. It was a clear, cold, crisp morning in Nebraska. I think sound carries better in those conditions. I also have documented hearing loss from my job as a firefighter :firefighter:, so I can't really comment on what distance you can normally hear them from.

Gooserbat

Don't know for sure but better than 100 yards under the right conditions.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

savduck

We had one on public land we named Thunder Gut. He was known for staying with hens and then stopping 100 to 125 yards out and spitting and drumming VERY loud. He would vibrate your chest from that far away.
Georgia Boy

guesswho

In the tree, early season and the right conditions, hearing one 200 yards wouldn't be to far of a stretch.  I've had numerous people with me on different hunts before flydown and I'd tell them I hear drumming.  They couldn't hear it.  I'd point to where I heard it and tell them if I'm hearing drumming he'll gobble right there.  Sure enough, gobble, gobble.   

And RutnNStrutn, Steve is one of those folks :TooFunny:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

lightsoutcalls

I can hear the spit part, but apparently my hearing doesn't pick up on the drum part...  I have heard it on videos, but never in the woods.   :-[
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

tomstopper

About 75-100 yards for me. Mainly due to the fact that I hunt pretty thick areas.

spaightlabs

40 yards is the furthest you are allowed to talk about hearing drumming or spitting! :TooFunny:

BrowningGuy88

I have heard them around 100 yards away, but my ears have heard too many 357 and 41 magnums go off with no earplugs...

budtripp

Quote from: spaightlabs on February 26, 2013, 03:32:25 PM
40 yards is the furthest you are allowed to talk about hearing drumming or spitting! :TooFunny:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

whiskey

I can't hear it over my heart beat and loud breathing.

loner

my hearing has taken a toll with age like the rest of me and i doubt i could hear one as far as you did.however,my rule of thumb has always been when i can't see him but hear him spit and drum means i don't move anything but my eyes.he normally,has slipped up behind me. ;D
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

Old Gobbler

I can sometimes--- if they are in a tree hear them from about 100 yards , but the sound is distorted , I dont hear the spit sound , what I hear is a very faint vroooom, vrooom almost like a bumble bee humming its wings - or like a truck going over a bridge of cattle gate from a long distance 

The worst is when you hear them real close ....PFIT, VRoooOOOOM and you ant see them , they are looking straight at you and you cant see them , I had a gobbler do that to me for about a hour a few years ago and he was about 10 yards behind me the whole time - finally I turned around and shot his #$% dead in the sand
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon