turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What choke for Federal HWT 7's - Mossy 935

Started by BrowningGuy88, February 26, 2013, 10:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

Guys, I have decided to give the Fed HWT 3.5" 7's the first shot in my 935 for HTL. Currently I am shooting the stock Ulti-Full and Federal 3.5/2.25/5's and running at 130 - 135 in the 10".

Which choke would be a good starting point for the HWT 7's? I am thinking a SumToy would do the trick, but was wondering what you guys used.

Thanks!
Daman

KYStalker

Word is that the FCW doesn't like ported barrels, however some members have reported good numbers with ported barrels.  Maybe try the stock unported ulti-full choke before you sink a bunch of money for no reason.  I've always wondered how the Pure Gold Tempest (unported) would handle the Federal HW loads.
If you're not first, your last!!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Daman on February 26, 2013, 10:26:36 AM
Guys, I have decided to give the Fed HWT 3.5" 7's the first shot in my 935 for HTL. Currently I am shooting the stock Ulti-Full and Federal 3.5/2.25/5's and running at 130 - 135 in the 10".

Which choke would be a good starting point for the HWT 7's? I am thinking a SumToy would do the trick, but was wondering what you guys used.

Thanks!
Daman

There are a number of chokes that will work in that gun with those shells. I've owned a 935 for several years and hunted with it some part of most seasons. While I much prefer the Hevi-13 shells, I've put some Federal shells down range with it, mainly 3" shells with #7 shot.

I found that gun is not as "picky" as some others are with the Flitecontrol Wad. I found one of the first generation of Wright's 835 chokes, non-ported, crowned muzzle and almost 1.4" of parallel with a .725 e.d. that did very well. Those chokes have not been manufactured for several years and are almost impossible to find.

I also found that it did well with both the SSX and the Hevi-13 chokes. The Pure Gold "Tempest" did very well and the flush mounted full choke that came with the gun did okay as well.

As you know that wad can be pretty tricky in many guns but the over bored barrel of the 835/935 is more forgiving.

Lastly, I still did not see patterns that were as even and dense with those shells as with the Hevi-13 shells. I have not fired any of the Federals in that gun in quite some time for that reason.

Please keep us up to date on what you see and the kinds of patterns you get with whatever choke you choose.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."