OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Does anyone still hunt with a single shot?

Started by rempumpman, February 24, 2013, 10:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

I have hunted with a 870 all of my life and plan to do so for as long as I live BUT the old single barrel is just beggin' to go on a turkey hunt this year; may just take her out on a date with the turkey woods and let her bring home a gobbler;

Just wondering if anyone here hunts with a time-proven single barrel? let's here about it. thank you.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

BigEz

My first turkey gun when I was 12 was a nef 20ga youth model with a mod choke.  At the time with Winchester #6s it was good to 20-25 yards tops.  I've always loved single shots ever since I got that one on Christmas morning so I've decided I'm going to make one my full time turkey gun starting this year.  I just picked up a H&R 20ga with full choke. Going with fflll, new stock (would like to get a thumbole stock but I'm in NY so not sure if that's legal now with the new law) and dipped eventually.  I'm going to pattern the full choke first with fed Hw just to see and if its not as good as I would like ill get it threaded.  I'll probably get it threaded next year regardless but I have heard some good things with the full choke and fcw.  Looking forward to carrying a light gun around the woods this year.

Erik

paboxcall

Twenty years ago H&R made a single shot 12 gauge chambered for 3.5" shells, screw in choke tube, and best of all 100% dipped in Mossy Oak old Bottomland.  Of course I had to run out and get a box of those 3.5" shoulder killers.  Shot it four times, was black and blue across my chest and arm and traded it the following year.   :z-dizzy:  I regretted trading that gun all these years.

Never thought to load it with a 3" shell......until last year when I decided to start riding a mountain bike to get in and out of the woods quickly.  So I found a used one and bought it thinking it would be great for slinging over the shoulder and riding.  Its the perfect gun for running around the woods, weighs a couple pounds, and with a JH .660 and Hevi 3-2-7 loads throws an awesome pattern.   :blob10:

The Winchester 1300 only saw one day of service last spring, and is now the back up and may not see a day of service this year.  I really like that little gun especially in its Bottomland camo.  Perfect.   :icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

BowBendr

Yes sir, I do.

It's a early '50s model Stephens 94b.
2 3/4" only with a factory full choked 28" barrel.
It was in a "used" condition when I got it. I stripped it down and cleaned all the years of gunk out of it. I put a sims pad on it, painted it and polished the barrel. I added a new style fiber optic bead on the front and added  claw slip-on sling. Makes a great 5 lb. gun to carry on my mtn. bike.

Shoots Win. 1 5/8oz. #5 real good and it's lights out with any federal fc wad load in 5 or 6's.

I often wonder who owned it when it was new, what they used it for, and what they would think of it if they saw it now......

bushwhacker

I would love to hunt with a single shot. They are light to carry and easy to maneuver in the woods. I have a 12 gauge NEF with a fixed full barrel that I killed my first gobbler with and some years later I shot that gun on paper with the same shell and I dont think I could have even hit a turkey much less kill one at 40 yards. That first turkey was at 46 big steps so I must have caught him with a stray pellet in the head. I may get it out and pattern it then try and take a gobbler with it this year.

paladin

I started with a 835 and worked my way to a encore 12. I bought a Mossberg SSI this year and have a NEF 10. All the singles have screw-in chokes. All are almost as good or better than the 835.
The singles is all I have used for several years.
"have gun-will travel"

Byhalia

OLD SCHOOL...since 1979

H&R single shot 10ga.
adjustable sights
Straight full choke...lengthend enforcing cone
cut barrel down to 21.5"
3.5" mag blends (use to use Fed Premiums copper plated 5"s)
just changed last year.

Killed many...many Mountain Kings !!!!   :smiley-char092:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

allaboutshooting

Quote from: rempumpman on February 24, 2013, 10:34:21 PM
I have hunted with a 870 all of my life and plan to do so for as long as I live BUT the old single barrel is just beggin' to go on a turkey hunt this year; may just take her out on a date with the turkey woods and let her bring home a gobbler;

Just wondering if anyone here hunts with a time-proven single barrel? let's here about it. thank you.

I have the SSi-ONE from Mossberg. It's a great single shot shotgun with a built-in base for scope/dot sight mounting. It's hammerless, has a great trigger and the same i.d. barrel as the 835/935 platform with a 3.5" chamber. It's light, quick and very well balanced. The bore is as slick as any I've seen on any production shotgun.

I've shot several turkeys with it over the years using a number of different sights on it. It's a shooter!

Mossberg made that gun for only a few years. It was an expensive gun at that time for a single shot. The platform was designed to use shotgun as well as rifle barrels, interchangeably. I should have picked-up a couple of the rifle barrels when they were available but only purchased the shotgun barrel at the time.

I may have to take it somewhere this season. It's been a while.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Treeninja

I use an Encore, it ain't old school but it's a single shot.

30_06

Grew up on an old 16ga single shot with no name on it.
I have been looking to find a 20ga H&R with choke tubes for a couple years now. Just really have a jones to try one of those out.

jlsprouls

Killed an old tom two years ago with a shotgun I received for Christmas when I was 10 years old. It was my dad's first gun, which he received when he was 9. It's an H&R 20ga, circa 1966. Used a Remington Shurshot Long Range 2 3/4 with #6 shot. Shot was about 25 yards right after fly down. Came in gobbling after hearing some calling, and a single hen decoy pulled him in. Its not my go to gun, but I love it! Someday it'll be my daughter's first gun.

mad815

I own 3 turkey guns- 2 pumps and this NEF single shot.   This is my favorite and I have both a 12ga. and 20 ga. barrel for it. One day it's a 12 ga. and the next it might be a 20 ga.  ---  I use 3" Remington duplex 4x6 in the 12 ga.   --- I used to use 3 1/2 " - #6 but found my self two ridges away from where I shot the Tom with my boots needing resoling --  Web

Bob

I have to make the decision every morning in season, Ithaca 12 gauge, crossbow or H&R 10 gauge single.  The single gets the call more times than most. 

Gobblerjim

New on here. Old thread but wanted to add. I hunt with a single shot nef 3 1/2" 12 ga. I beared through finding a load that worked and stuck with it. Hevi 6's.  When your shooting a turkey you don't feel it. Killed one bird at 43 yards. Stock full choke. Nice and light and don't care if I scratch it up. Black sharpie and she's good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20ga.turkeyshooter

Heck ya I've killed them with single shot. .410,20,12, & 10 gauge