turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help!! Fed. HW #7s pattern numbers

Started by seadux, February 24, 2013, 10:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadux

I have tried the Federal 3.5" 1 7/8 oz. load of HW #7s in several chokes out of my Rem 870 23" barrel and have not gotten a really good pattern.  I am now thinking my expectations may be too high.  Has anyone been able to break 200 in the 10" at 40yds with a remington?  If so what choke? :help:

nyhunter

I have not tried them but I think 200 is a bit high, especially with them only having a 1 7/8oz load.

Fullfan

Out of my 3" 11-87 I can get 150-160 in the 10" at 40 with the Federal Heviweights. The choke is one of George Truelocks, the choke was built for the #7 heviweights.
Don't gobble at me...

seadux

I have the Trulock choke made for the HW #7s but am still having issues.   My best patterns have been out of the remington turkey choke that came with the gun with an exit diameter of.670. Anyone else have a good choke combo that they are using?

SKFOOTER

Try the Kick's .655. I know it's a ported choke but it has no wad catchers in it and Kick's recommends their chokes for the HW #7's.   You might even wanna try a Kick's .650. :OGturkeyhead:

gatrkyhntr70

The ports are the strippers; is the .655 different from the other kicks chokes??
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

vaturkey

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 25, 2013, 10:29:22 AM
Try the Kick's .655. I know it's a ported choke but it has no wad catchers in it and Kick's recommends their chokes for the HW #7's.   You might even wanna try a Kick's .650. :OGturkeyhead:

Kicks might recommend their chokes for the Fed HW's but Federal doesn't recommend a ported choke for their shells !  Just a Headsup !   :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

seadux

I have tried them out of a Jellyhead and Rhino ported.  The Flite-control wad does not like the ports.  Although, I have not found a pattern I will hunt with yet, I have noticed that the wad must exit uniformly and not deformed or the pattern does crazy things.  :newmascot:

Old Gobbler

Clean the barrel out with a solvent and scrub it with a brush and then run patches down it till dry -

Some posts made by members have indicated that the FC wad needs a clean bore between shots for best results --
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

SKFOOTER

Quote from: vaturkey on February 25, 2013, 03:42:08 PM
Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 25, 2013, 10:29:22 AM

Kicks might recommend their chokes for the Fed HW's but Federal doesn't recommend a ported choke for their shells !  Just a Headsup !   :icon_thumright:
And what does Federal know.  If they were that smart, they'd do away with the Flight Control Wad altogether in their Heavyweight loads and nobody else could compete with them.  I'm telling you, try the Kicks Gobblin' Thunder .655 or .650 in your Remington with those HW #7's.  :OGturkeyhead:

Britton40

I was having issues as well. I discovered I bought a bad lot. If the lot number has an X, the shells could be a bad lot. I called Federal and they are replacing them.

bawana

I'm shooting a Trulock .650 with my 3.5 federal #7's. I get 130-150 in a 10 inch circle at 40, with about 10-15 in the kill. Works great for me and man does it ever whack em!

seadux

Is that with the trulock Fed. Hwt. #7 choke or the PH.650?

bawana

wvnut3

I have an 11-87 with the Trulock fed heavyweight #7 choke .I get 200-220 on average in 10inch and another 150-160 in the 20inch at 40yds with the 3 1/2 1 7/8 oz load. With one of my older 870 with same choke and the 3in 1 5/8 oz load i get an average 140-160 on average at 40.Lee