turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

PATTERNING A FFIII

Started by schief, February 21, 2013, 03:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schief

I SHOT MY REM. 870 TODAY WITH THE FFIII. IT IS MOUNTED ON A WEAVER RAIL. FIRST SHOT WAS 25 YDS WITH LIGHT LOADS. SHOOTING LOW. TURNED IT UP 1 FULL TURN AND IT DIDN'T MOVE UP VERY FAR. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I  ENDED UP TURNING ALL WAY UP AFTER 4 SHOTS AND ADJ. THERE IS NO MORE UP ADJ. SHOT A HEVI-13 #7. IT WAS A KILL SHOT. JUST DON'T LIKE HAVING TO ADJ ALL WAY. PICTURES OF SCOPE AND MOUNT. GUN HAS A 21" BARREL WITH A SUMTOP CHOKE TUBE. ANY SUGGESTIONS .

Five O

Lossen it back up and put a paper thin shim under the front. In the mounting instructions I think it says to put light pressure on the back of the sight while you tighten it up.

schief

will do. i would turn the up adj screw 2 full turns and it didn't move shot placement up much. i should be able to find some thin shim stock. thanks

WiLL B

I think you need to put the shim in the back.

SumToy

Quote from: WiLL B on February 21, 2013, 09:40:16 PM

:you_rock: :icon_thumright:  Put it in the back if it is low.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

schief

Quote from: SumToy on February 21, 2013, 10:05:50 PM
Quote from: WiLL B on February 21, 2013, 09:40:16 PM

:you_rock: :icon_thumright:  Put it in the back if it is low.

william, i know you have forgot more about guns than i ever knew but why in back instead of front. i will put the shim in back. this 12ga throws a mean pattern with the sum toy choke. can't wait to see how my 20 ga does with the choke that you are making.

schief

i have the thin rubber gasket that goes between the FFII and mount. since the FFIII doesn't require the gasket wonder if i could use a small piece of it in back or do you think it would compress too much.

mossyoakpro

The reflex and red dot scopes are supposed to be adjusted to the POI if I am not mistaken...hence the reason for putting a shim in the rear for a low shot.

I found this out the hard way after a bunch of wasted shots sighting in once....I thought it was like a rifle scope but it is treated like an arrow and follow your shot...
Phillippians 4:13

schief

Quote from: mossyoakpro on February 22, 2013, 05:23:28 PM
The reflex and red dot scopes are supposed to be adjusted to the POI if I am not mistaken...hence the reason for putting a shim in the rear for a low shot.

I found this out the hard way after a bunch of wasted shots sighting in once....I thought it was like a rifle scope but it is treated like an arrow and follow your shot...

i usually do it that way but it shot so low that i think it would have done the same and bottomed out in down adj. i sent burris optics a pm and asked him how to set scope back to factory setting on up-down adj screw then i am going to shoot and if it shoots low i am going to use a small piece of the rubber gasket that came with it and loosen screws and put it in back .

SumToy

You want to move the dot down if gun shoots low.  That way you would need to pick the gun up to get the dot back to the target.  So the pattern will move up.   :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA