Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Anyone else big into...

Started by FullChoke, February 21, 2013, 11:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

DIY (do-it-yourself)? To date I have made my turkey vest (19 years ago and it still rocks), TSS handloads, painting turkey decoys, paracord sling for the gun, wingbone calls, turkey tote, camping hammock with bug net and insulated underquilt and I am in the middle of camouflaging my 870 in a completely new way. I need to hustle a little bit on the camo to get it finished, coated and cured by opening day.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

I like some DIY projects but i stay away from messing with painting a gun. I don't want to mess it up and then have to redo the thing over again.
I have made my own slate calls and strikers. I used corn cobs for a couple of them they I got out of one of the fields after they harvested the corn. I do like making my own calls.

gophert

I am the complete DIY person.  I have painted a few guns, now I'm gonna camo dip my 20 ga.  I am still practicing on small items before I do the big gun.  Really I just need a warm, low humidity weekend.  They may not come until after turkey season however.  Here is my first try on an old stock I had laying around.  All in all it went ok, but the paint didn't work well with the wood.  Pretty fun to mess around with however. 

FullChoke

G,

Was this done using one of those kits? How did it work?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

Yes...mydipkit.   I have been reading about this stuff for over 6 months.  Really the only thing I am using from the kit is the film and activator.  You can see I used just a tad bit too much activator on that stock.  It's a little smeared.  It's definitely harder than the kit makes it seem.  Getting the paint just right and then getting a perfect dip does take practice.  I don't have a way to paint indoors so I am going to have to wait until it warms up to try it again.  It is really cool and I am very confident I'll be able to get it right.  Practice Practice Practice