OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoys

Started by FullChoke, February 20, 2013, 09:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

What are your thoughts on using decoys. If'n yer ferum, what kind do you use? If'n yer aginum, tell us about it.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

I'm a decoy guy myself.  I hunt lots of fields so they really help.  I use a DSD upright hen, primos hen, Pretty boy Jake jr.

spurz

Use them most of the time,Zink Avian X hen and jake.

Eric Gregg

I started carrying them when I started but I am now opting not to use them.
1. I like having the extra space in my vest without them
2. Don't have time in every situation to set them out due to having to set up quickly
3. I believe that what kills a gobbler is when he has to "hunt" for the mysterious hen. You run the risk of the gobbler hanging up when he can see your decoy and feels that he has a good place to strut.
4. I just like to do some things, not all, a little old school.

Like Tom Kelly says, "It ain't supposed to be easy..."

surehuntsalot

I will use a hen decoy from time to time in open areas in the woods
I not use a strutting gobbler decoy at all
I sorry,but I'm old school all the way,sitting in a blind,in a field,that you know turkeys use,with a flock of decoys set up and waiting,
is not hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mightyjoeyoung

I have a Primos P.H.D. hen decoy and though I had reservations about a blow up decoy with a fabric cover on it, I have to say I am impressed with how easy and fast it blows up and how detailed it is for a blow up decoy.  Packs small too.  I will also use my Carrylite sneaky pete submisive jake decoy and have had gobblers run right up to it and in attempts to intimidate it and peck at it and kick it.  It packs fairly easy too for a heavier type poly body decoy but it isn't anywhere near as heavy as an Avian X and imo looks just as good.   i do also have a Carrylite Pretty Boy full strut decoy and hen combo but I only run them when I'm archery hunting from a blind in fields or wide open timber or when I know I have groups of 2 year old + birds in the area that I have seen ganging up on single birds.  Decoys can be a good thing when run correctly and can ruin a hunt when used wrong. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.