turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jesus Wept ~ Devotion ~ 2/20/13

Started by lightsoutcalls, February 20, 2013, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

As promised, today's devotion revolves around the shortest verse in the Bible, John 11:35.  If you would like the detailed back-story, you can read John 11:1-44.  I'll give you the cliff notes version.  Jesus and his disciples left Judea after people there wanted to stone Jesus.  Very close to this area, Jesus had some friends in Lazarus and his sisters Mary and Martha.  Lazarus became ill, so his sisters sent word to Jesus about the illness.  Jesus explained to the disciples that the illness would not "end in death", but that his sickness was a means by which Jesus would be glorified.  After a couple of days, Jesus told his disciples, "hey, let's go back to Judea." The disciples complained that the people there wanted to kill him, but Jesus told them he was going to wake Lazarus up.  The disciple didn't get it.
John 11:14-15
14 So he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead. 15 And for your sakes, I'm glad I wasn't there, for now you will really believe. Come, let's go see him."
   As they neared Lazarus home, his sister Martha ran out to meet Jesus and complained that if Jesus had only been there a few days earlier, Lazarus wouldn't have died.  Jesus explained that Lazarus would rise from the dead.  She didn't get it. 
John 11:25-26
25 Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. 26 Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha?"
   Martha returned to their house and told Mary that Jesus would like to see her, so Mary left the house and went to where Jesus was.  A group of people were at the house mourning with the family.  When they saw Mary leave the house, they thought she was going to Lazarus tomb, so they followed.  Mary met Jesus and repeated the line from Martha, saying if only Jesus had been there several days earlier, Lazarus wouldn't have died. 
John 11:33-38
33 When Jesus saw her weeping and saw the other people wailing with her, a deep anger welled up within him, and he was deeply troubled. 34 "Where have you put him?" he asked them.
They told him, "Lord, come and see." 35 Then Jesus wept. 36 The people who were standing nearby said, "See how much he loved him!" 37 But some said, "This man healed a blind man. Couldn't he have kept Lazarus from dying?"

38 Jesus was still angry as he arrived at the tomb, a cave with a stone rolled across its entrance.

SO, the big question is... Why did Jesus weep?

Here are Jesus closest friends (Mary and Martha) and the disciples.  He has tried to explain to them that in this case, death did not have the upper hand.  These are the people that had the privelege of seeing Jesus perform miracles first hand.  If anyone ever could take Jesus at his word, it should be these people, his closest friends.  Still yet, they just didn't get it.  Why did Jesus weep?  The Bible makes it very clear... He was ticked off.  He has just explained in simple terms that Lazarus was going to be alive in time for dinner, but their minds could not comprehend whose presence they were in.  Add to this the crowd of people wailing and making a big stir, as it was tradition to mourn "loudly" for days after the death of a friend or loved one.  These misdirected people compounded the problem when THEY said "if only....".  Martha went on to protest that if the stone was removed from Lazarus tomb... it was going to stink!
    Jesus finally had enough! 
John 11:40-44
40 Jesus responded, "Didn't I tell you that you would see God's glory if you believe?" 41 So they rolled the stone aside. Then Jesus looked up to heaven and said, "Father, thank you for hearing me. 42 You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me." 43 Then Jesus shouted, "Lazarus, come out!" 44 And the dead man came out, his hands and feet bound in graveclothes, his face wrapped in a headcloth. Jesus told them, "Unwrap him and let him go!"

I can't imagine what it would have been like to physically walk with Jesus and absorb the teachings and watch miracles take place.  I do, however, understand how difficult it can be to believe that God is really in control when we look at the world around us.  I sometimes wonder if He gets just as ticked off today when we doubt and don't believe...

John 16:31-33
31 Jesus asked, "Do you finally believe? 32 But the time is coming—indeed it's here now—when you will be scattered, each one going his own way, leaving me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me. 33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Don't worry...  you're in good hands.

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

BOFF

Wendell.

Though God walks with me daily, I too, often forget His presence and teachings. I'm sure he has wept for me as well.

Thanks for the reminder of God's presence and power.

God Bless,
David B.

Roostem33

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on February 20, 2013, 11:00:13 AM

I can't imagine what it would have been like to physically walk with Jesus and absorb the teachings and watch miracles take place.  I do, however, understand how difficult it can be to believe that God is really in control when we look at the world around us.  I sometimes wonder if He gets just as ticked off today when we doubt and don't believe...

It must have been something else to watch Him first hand, thanks so much Wendell!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

justturnin

It's an overwhelming thing to think that Jesus loves us so much that even knowing He was about to raise Lazarus it still hurt Him to see Mary and Martha so sad that he wept for them.  Will we ever deserve the love of our Father? 
Chris B
Klein, TX
Home of the Yin-Yang Custom Cast Call.  PM me for details

misfire

Quote from: justturnin on February 21, 2013, 07:34:37 AM
.  Will we ever deserve the love of our Father?

I try but always fall short. Good message Wendell
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Tomspur

What a great devotional. Thank you. I always fall short and in spite of me, He still loves me. Praise God. 

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.