turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scope will not stay in place. PLEASE HELP

Started by chrisg2709, February 19, 2013, 10:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisg2709

I have a supernova with the truglo gobble stopper scope. I finally had a chance to shoot today and every time the scope would slide on the mount. I tightned it as much as poss. with my fingers but still it still slid down the mount. I know its poss. to tighten it with a ratchet or pliers but Im kinda scared to tightned it too much, dont want to warp the mount or scope. What can I do to fix this???
Considered just taking it off all together but after paying for the scope, I would really like to use it.

M R Ducks

Did it come with scope rings or are you using aftermarket?  Might be as easy as try a different set of rings.  Don't worry about warping the tube.  If you apply a little torque with an Allen wrench or screw driver alertanately (caddy corner) on each ring's set so screws you should not hurt the tube, assuming everything is level.  Take it to a gun shop if you want to make sure all is well.

Ducks

chrisg2709

It doesn't require rings. It slides on the mount and has 2 knobs to tighten it to the mount. Similar to mounting something to a picatinny rail, which I have thought about purchasing since it has the notches. I'm not sure a picatinny would fit my supernova.

outdoors

What you could do is > a dab of finger nail polish , any color <
Dab a little on the threads and tighten down , nail polish is not permanent ....
               :OGturkeyhead:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Skeeterbait

What kind of base do you have this on?  Notice that one of the screws to tighten it to the base is lower than the other.  That screw is ment to fit into a slot on a picatinny of weaver base.  I really recommend picatinny bases because they have more slots for adjustability and the slots are deep and square.  Some weaver bases have shallow rounded slots.  With that screw engaged into one of the slots on the base and the screws properly tightened it should never slide.  The problem may be with the base your using and not the scope.  Also you need a proper spanner bit to tighten the mounting screws.  Finger tight is not enough.  If you have a proper base and it is allowing the mounting screw to jump out of the slot in the base then you do not have it tight enough.

chrisg2709

It's the weaver base for the supernova. I used a crescent wrench to tighten the nuts. Gonna try it out today. I can make one bar sit in the slot on the mount but then the scope sits at an angle because the other bar doesn't have a notch to sit in.

BurrisOptics

Finger tight will not hold it.  You will need to use a wrench on it to tighten it up.  TruGlo should have torque specs.

Skeeterbait

Quote from: chrisg2709 on February 20, 2013, 10:02:06 AM
It's the weaver base for the supernova. I used a crescent wrench to tighten the nuts. Gonna try it out today. I can make one bar sit in the slot on the mount but then the scope sits at an angle because the other bar doesn't have a notch to sit in.

Something's not right.  Only one bar is supposed to sit in a notch.  The other bar is mounted higher and rides above the base.  You need to take that to a gun shop or smith and have them look at it.

chrisg2709

M R Ducks

Before you give up, can you post a picture of your setup?  I think you would get the right answer with a picture to help us here in the ether.........

chrisg2709

Wrench tight worked great. Just couldn't get it sighted in after 15 shots, and got tired of fooling with it. Figured I would try to get some of my money back.