OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what is your favorite type (cut) of diaphragm call

Started by Thomas6689, February 18, 2013, 09:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas6689

If you only had to pick one cut which would it be and why?

Devastator

Hooks Devastator,because the design of the cut works for me.

Onpoint

I like a ghost cut for killin turkeys. A ghost cut calls is easy to achieve a good clean top note and drop off into a slight rasp. Kee Kees easy, very realistic sounding call. Now that being said, I prefer to show off for my buddy's with a woodhaven copperhead, but when it's time to kill something, 9 times out of 10 I got a ghost cut mouth call in. Its just what I like.

runngun

Hillbilly custom calls "white lightening" it is a "custom"cut and I like a ghost cut because of the Kee-kee.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

goblr77

Chris Downs

Mine used to be a combo or "shippwreck" style cut.  Still really like it, but have really turned to the ghost cut calls and batwings too.  The ghost can actually make some pretty nice cuts if you call to one side of the call or the other instead of right down the middle.  Great yelps, super kees and clucks/purrs, and nice cutts too.  Awesome design. 

Gooserbat

For a hunting call I would say my Gooserbat Bacon,  It has some rasp with out being over the top, yelps like a dream, and is plenty easy to cut on.  It is across the board the best hunting call I build. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

fmf

only one? 3 reed v cut.  It can do it all, and do it all softly or with volume with just the right rasp.  Need to kee kee on it?  just flip it over

Lonehowl

I also like a ghost cut, but I really like a 3 reed with a single slit cut in the middle of top reed, sort of like a ghost cut.
Mark

Moore

a year ago I would have said modify v but now its the combo easier for me to get the higher front end when yelping in contests
[

DUPREE

It's about a dead lock tie for me between a combo cut and a ghost cut. Best ghost cut on the market IMO is the xtkee. Www.xtcalls.net.

BowBendr

Quote from: DUPREE on February 21, 2013, 08:35:04 PMIt's about a dead lock tie for me between a combo cut and a ghost cut. Best ghost cut on the market IMO is the xtkee. Www.xtcalls.net.

X2  -The Kee is by far my favorite call   :you_rock:

CallDr

A mouth call is such a "personal" caller that it can be quite a search to find what works best for you. If some one did make the "best" mouth calls, then last week at the Nationals people would have been lined up 200 yards to buy them at one booth.

A Split V seems to be a "user friendly"  Cut. Then again....... depends on who makes them. I always suggest if you can talk to the guy who actually builds the calls, he would have a good idea on what cut,reeds and stretch would fit you best.

Our Flock Talker is our most "user friendly" call....( off set Split V ) ... if you can't run it, then you have to go to another builder because each man has his own "formula" or "recipe" of making them. Ours are on the "tight" side as stretch goes. So learning what tension is as important as the Cut.

All I know..... is when you find one ( or some ) that work........ keep using them no matter who makes them. A call that fits you is as important as you hunting boots the right size.

Hope that helps.

www.wildtalker.com