turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

remington turkey loads

Started by Ky Gobbler, February 17, 2013, 10:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ky Gobbler

I'm getting ready to order some new shells. I've been shooting winchester supremes 3.5 inch 5 shot and I get decent patterns but they aren't very even. I'm wanting to order either Remington Premier copper plated magnum high velocity 3.5's 2 oz 5 shot or nitro turkey, which are nearly the same but aren't copper plated. What do you think?
I'm shooting an 870 sps 20" barrel with a kicks .665.

R AJ

Think Winchester 3.5-2-#6; 3.5-2 1/4-#6; 3-2-#6 or 3-1 3/4-#6
and then think wow, I am seeing much more even patterns than  I did using #5s.

That is what I suggest. Your choke should allow for the heavier lead loads in Win Supreme  XX Magnum loads and sixes in general will get the job done for you.

Ky Gobbler

I've actually tried the winchester XX 2 1/4 oz and the sumpremes shot better. I would use six shot but I have always been against it since i had so many squirrels get away using it. But squirrel hide is tougher than a turkey head.

R AJ

And were you using a Kick's choke on squirrels? Whatever your past experience with squirrels an d#6s do not let that keep you from patterning those shells. I have not had a Remington shell out perform Winchester shells in the recent past.
I do like the pattern of the Remington Duplex 4x6 3" loads in a 665 choke in a Remington but prefer the denser pattern and higher shot count over larger but fewer pellets.

Ky Gobbler

The squirrels were with full choke and a different gun. I just like 5 shot because its a good compromise between 4's and 6's.  :)

BandedSpur

The CP Remmys should outshoot the non CP ones.

But I agree with RAJ. Shoot some 6s and go with whichever one gives the densest patterns. Fives always run out of pattern before they run out of energy. Sixes are in the sweet spot balancing pattern density and energy. Don't believe the crap you have heard or read that 6s don't have the energy to kill past 35 yds. It's just not so. That said, I have seen guns that put up better numbers with 5s than with 6s for whatever reason. Go with the best pattern and don't look back.

surehuntsalot

when I hunt with lead,it's Federal or Winchester
I won't waste my money on Remington shotgun shells,they are worthless in all of my shotguns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI just like 5 shot because its a good compromise between 4's and 6's.

Yes.  Inside 35 Yards, the 6's definitely fill the pattern out a little better.  Some guns / chokes shoot about as good at 40 Yards with 5's as with 6's.  In that case, I like #5's.  If the 6's beat 5's by 15-20 pellets at 40 Yards, then give me the 6's.

WickedBama

I had someone give me a box of Remington premium 3.5" 2 1/4, 4 shot
Think they are copper plated these shells any count.

Moss 535 ic black diamond .660. 
Live For It!

dawei

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 19, 2013, 08:09:07 PM
I won't waste my money on Remington shotgun shells,they are worthless in all of my shotguns

That' my experience also with one exception. The exception is..........
• Remington® Nitro-Turkey™ 20ga 3" Mag 1185fps 1¼oz #5Pb (NT20M5)

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: dawei on February 21, 2013, 01:48:39 PM

That' my experience also with one exception. The exception is..........
• Remington® Nitro-Turkey™ 20ga 3" Mag 1185fps 1¼oz #5Pb (NT20M5)

I have a few boxes of those stashed away. They are 35 yard killers in my 20 gauge with the Truglo Gobble Stopper 565 choke.

Swamphunter

Funny, that's what i say about Winchesters.  My guns don't seem to like them at all.  Remingtons are good depending on the gun and the FC federals tend to work best in most of my guns and chokes.  I am a believer in the FC wad especially in older fixed choke guns.   :gobble:

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Swamphunter on February 25, 2013, 01:30:48 PM

Funny, that's what i say about Winchesters.  My guns don't seem to like them at all.  Remingtons are good depending on the gun and the FC federals tend to work best in most of my guns and chokes.  I am a believer in the FC wad especially in older fixed choke guns.   :gobble:

I also like the Federal FC wad,they work great in my fixed choked shotguns also
it's not the harvest,it's the chase