OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bushnell Trophy XLT/eye releif

Started by MEbeardlover, February 16, 2013, 08:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEbeardlover

I have a Mossberg 500 and wanted to scope it. Bought a Bushnell Trophy XLT. Used Weaver mounts in the factory drilled holes. First time I tried it, it "bit" me, and I was using 2 3/4 shells. Brought it to the gunsmith, who was able to move it ahead a little to buy me some more eye relief. Tried it again and still got "bit". Thoughts? Suggestions?

the Ward

Ouch!I don't think there will be much you will be able to do with the eye relief.Eye relief is pretty much non adjustable,it might increase or decrease a small amount in a variable power scope when you change power settings up or down.Try it at diffrent power settings to see if you can gain a little bit and also make sure you adjust the focus that also somtimes gives you a small amount of leeway.Eye relief is one of the most important considerations in purchasing a scope,especially for a shotgun or large caliber rifle.If worst comes to worse maybe you could mount it on another gun and pick up one with more eye relief?I got a bushnell dusk till dawn shotgun scope last fall on sale at midway to put on my cantilever slug gun.It has 6" of eye relief and works great.I had the same problem with the scope i had on it,too little eye relief and had to be real carefull not to 'crawl the stock' or you would get a big whack!I really like the bushnell scopes they are a great value for the money never had an issue with any i have had.Hope you can get your problem solved.....ward

chatterbox

I don't think that Bushnell eye relief on that scope is as good as advertised. I have had 2 (one on a 535, and one on an 835) and got bit by both shooting both 3" and 3.5" magnums.
I went with a red dot to get rid of the problem, and that has been a better way to go for me. Now, if you are set on a scope, I would look into the Burris TAC30. It is a bit expensive, but the eye relief and field of view are amazing! I shoot 3.5" magnums, and it never even came close to my eye. I had one on my turkey gun, but found it to be to heavy. Put it on my T/C Impact muzzleloader, and I am punching the 10 ring at 100 yards with only a 1-4 power scope! Clarity and finish are top notch.
For a scope on a turkey gun, this would be my only choice, and it comes with a forever warantee, and the best customer service in the industry.

the Ward

Those  Burris tac 30  look like it would be a great scope option for a shotgun!I got the bushnell cause it had alot of eye relief and it was cheap!I only use the slug barrel one week out of the year at most,the rest of the time it just  sits in the safe,so i had a hard time justifying putting something expensive on it that wouldn't get much use.But the bushnell is a good value and i haven't had any problems with any of mine,but it does have a small field of view and the clarity of the lens isn't the greatest but i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for someone on a tight buget.That being said i hope to have a ff3 with the 8minute dot before season rolls around!Been lusting over that thing for waaayy to long lol!  .......ward

MEbeardlover

Thanks for the thoughts. I have decided to get rid of it. I will take a few weeks and decide what to do for an optic or sight.