turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scouting Report

Started by Eric Gregg, February 16, 2013, 12:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Gregg

Today I went out to a couple of places where I am able to hunt and looked around. I didn't carry any calls so I would not fall into temptation......
One of the places where I hunt has always been active. Last year nothing was on that property and I didn't see any sign anywhere which is highly unusual. I scouted around to see what the culprit could be....I haven't seen any changes in the woods that would encourage them to go elsewhere. There is sign of coyotes, but they seem to stick next to the cutover side of the property. I ventured over to the adjoining property to take a look and I have to say that they have a tremendous set up.
Directly behind me is mixed hardwood bottomland that is situated between two hill ranges with nice ATV trails winding through it. There is one food plot with a feeder there which has primarily winter rye grass on it. So it doesn't look like they are planning for turkeys but I know they will hang around that feeder.  Next to this property is a nice food plot that looks picture perfect for any turkey hunting magazine.... I know that birds hang around all three properties and use the property that I hunt on to travel through, and the gravel road as a kind of "looking" place for gobblers looking for hens after his morning ladies have left.
There is one common factor that all three properties had that shocked me.....NO TRACKS
This is flooring me.....perfect set up in a place where gobblers have always frequented and all of a sudden no sign at all. I am wondering what in the world has happened to this spot that was full of activity just two years ago.

Any ideas what in the world could have happened?

FullChoke

Eric,

There are many factors that influence turkey movement in an area. There is a general movement from winter to spring areas. This is usually driven by changing seasonal food sources and the big winter flocks breaking up and spreading out across an area. One thing that I have heard of folks doing is to use corn. Several weeks before the season walk wood roads in an area and scatter corn at various well-separated locations. Sandy places in the road would be preferable to allow tracks to accumulate and show well. Check once a week to see if turkeys have found it and to get an idea of the gender makeup. Make certain that you remove all traces of the corn 2 weeks (I believe) before hunting in that area. You just want to get a census count. You could also use a game camera at a feeding site and can see exactly what was eating it.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

Norm I thought about doing that.....I actually thought about either going in there with corn or birdseed and scattering in some areas. If I do that now the traces should be gone.

I know that an area around there serves as a nesting area for the hens. I believe that is why the gobbler hang around in that vacinity where I am able to hunt as they are trying to find more receptive hens in the area or some they may have come off the nest ready to breed again. They get next to that gravel road and wait. I bumped one two years ago that had perched on a fallen down cedar. He had a good view down that road and the ladies could see him.
I just may have to invest in a bag to see if they will come back.