turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-Shot = Steel Shot?

Started by BC, February 13, 2013, 09:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC

I have a quick question for the experts. My dad just bought a new shotgun that just came out this year. Currently there are no mass produced aftermarket chokes in existence. He can send the barrel to William at Sumtoy and have a choke created, but he's worried about turnaround time with the Alabama youth hunt quickly approaching (he's going to take one of my sons out during the youth hunt). He bought a box of Nitros (Hevi-Shot.... not the megaweights). He's decided to use the factory full that came with it, but it's laser etched into the side of the choke "No steel shot!". So he's bought several boxes of lead and copper coated lead to use instead of the Nitros. I think this turns a potential 45 yard gun into a 30 yard gun at best. So my question is, can / should he shoot the Nitro (hevi-shot) loads through the factory full? Does the Hevi Shot constitute "steel shot".

Thanks in advance for any help, it is much appreciated.

R AJ

What is the new gun make? I am willing to say that there is a choke thread that works with this gun if you let us know.

BC

It's a Beretta A400 xPlor w/kickoff system in 20 ga.

davisd9

Hevi-Shot is not steel shot.  It is tungsten.  The tungsten is harder than the barrel, but the wads used in them stay with the shot through the barrel with never allowing the shot to touch the steel inside the barrel/choke.  Shoot the Nitros.  What Nitros did he get?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

R AJ

No more times that he might possibly shoot the full choke with the Nitros he should be good to go.
If he is using 3" or 3.5" lead loads he should be good for the 95% chance that the bird will be well within the 35 yard range if he gets a shot even.
The youth hunt is for the youth only to take the shot . I would not be so worried about it if it were me.
Even a Federal FCW shell in a modified choke using #6 lead will be a good choice.
Personally I would have Winchester 3" HV 3-1 3/4-#6s and the full choke.