turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Activ shells

Started by woodchip, February 13, 2013, 09:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchip

With the prices on the HTL shells this year I sure wish Activ shells were on the shelves!  Why can't someone make another good lead shell?

savduck

There is one. Winchester high velocity or XX. I killed a pile of gobblers at 40 yards with them.
Georgia Boy

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: woodchip on February 13, 2013, 09:23:43 PM
With the prices on the HTL shells this year I sure wish Activ shells were on the shelves!  Why can't someone make another good lead shell?

And if you want more lead in the shell, buy Nitro copper plated loads. The Winchesters are hard to beat though.

surehuntsalot

I have a small stockpile of the old Federal and a supply of the "red" hull XX Magnum Winchesters
the BEST lead loads out there
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bawana

Don't know if they are the same, but here's who bought em out
http://kentgamebore.com/about/

surehuntsalot

Quote from: bawana on February 14, 2013, 10:46:43 PM

don't know what happened,but they are nowhere close to the old Activ shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

Quote from: bawana on February 14, 2013, 10:46:43 PM

I wrote them a letter recently on this subject and have received no reply in about 3 weeks now.

allaboutshooting

If you're looking for a very good lead load, I'd recommend the White Lightning shell from the folks at Spectra Shot. In my experience, it's the best lead load on the market today.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

stinkpickle

Quote from: savduck on February 13, 2013, 10:39:43 PM
There is one. Winchester high velocity or XX. I killed a pile of gobblers at 40 yards with them.

This.^^^  Even their gray box SuperX's work well with the right choke.

Gooserbat

A little fyi.  There is a box of Active 3" 2 1/4 #4 shot at Bills SportingGoods in Claremore OK.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Fullfan

I killed a pile of gobblers with the Active 3" 2 1/4 oz #6 shot, nickle plated shot. Just had to check and I doscovered I still have 4 of the ten shell boxes left.
:happy0064:
Don't gobble at me...

davisd9

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 20, 2013, 10:03:27 AM
If you're looking for a very good lead load, I'd recommend the White Lightning shell from the folks at Spectra Shot. In my experience, it's the best lead load on the market today.

Thanks,
Clark

They are not cheap.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

decoykrvr

Does anyone recall the fps of the Activ Penetrator 3", 21/4 oz shells.  I killed a lot of gobblers w/ the Activ's out of a Mark Bansner sleeved .665, Ithaca Model 37.  It was back in the day when shotgun patterns were evaluated on a % basis in a 30" circle w/ the emphasis on no holes in the pattern bigger than a tennis ball.   I got a consistant 92-95% which translated to @ 285, #4's and @ 360, #5's in a 30" circle at 40 yards.  Even though the Activ was a "slower" shell, the high  number of pellet strikes translated to a significant energy deposition on the turkey.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have shot them load.  Shoot very well.  I think the old goold box Federal Premium 3" and 3.5" #6 and #5 loads were some of the best patterning lead loads I have shot.  They shot better than any lead loads I have tried in my guns for consistency from shot after shot.

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 08, 2013, 01:02:22 PM
I have shot them load.  Shoot very well.  I think the old goold box Federal Premium 3" and 3.5" #6 and #5 loads were some of the best patterning lead loads I have shot.  They shot better than any lead loads I have tried in my guns for consistency from shot after shot.

That was my favorite lead load. Still have a couple boxes of the #5s put back for hard times.