OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke tube for SBEll and Hvywt Federals

Started by Spur, February 12, 2013, 05:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spur

I emailed Federal and asked what choke constriction they recommended for my SBEll w/24" Crio barrell shooting Fed Hvywt #6 in 12ga 3.5" with the flitecontrol wad.  I also asked if that round benefitted from an extended, constant constriction choke tube.  I got back this answer, "Use modified choke, factory choke." No comment from Federal on constriction or extended choke.

Anybody tried the factory flush fit modified Benelli choke using Hvywt 6'S? No need for me to waste the money if it has already been done!

Thanx.

vaturkey

The factory modified choke patterns well but the factory full patterns even better !  One notch on the top of the choke tube !  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Spur on February 12, 2013, 05:52:53 PM
I emailed Federal and asked what choke constriction they recommended for my SBEll w/24" Crio barrell shooting Fed Hvywt #6 in 12ga 3.5" with the flitecontrol wad.  I also asked if that round benefitted from an extended, constant constriction choke tube.  I got back this answer, "Use modified choke, factory choke." No comment from Federal on constriction or extended choke.

Anybody tried the factory flush fit modified Benelli choke using Hvywt 6'S? No need for me to waste the money if it has already been done!

Thanx.

First of all, welcome to OG. We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you.

You have an excellent shotgun. I've owned that brand since 1991.

I tried just about every type and exit diameter of choke with my SBE, Nova, later with the SBEII and with the Vinci. All have the same inside barrel diameters of course but just to be sure, I tried them all over time.

The bottom line is that there is a real difference in making or allowing the Flitecontrol Wad to function properly and achieving good patterns with those shells through your gun.

A non-ported choke with an e.d. of .670 to .675 will most times, allow the Flitecontrol Wad to fully deploy, all petals extend properly and brakes open evenly.

However, a non-ported choke with an e.d. of .650 will yield good patterns much more consistently.

Chokes with crowned muzzles and parallel sections of about 1.3" will do better than others. The Rob Roberts chokes and the Wright's #3 choke have always been top performers in my Benelli shotguns with those shells.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

runngun

Try it with your modified and full. Bet you will be suprised with those shells.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Spur

Thanks for your thoughts!  I called Trulock today based on a reply I recvd from this forum.  The tech I spoke with told me that they have a choke optimized for #7 Federal Heavyweight that "should" work well with #6 loads but they have not patterned it with 6's.  They have this tube for both 12's and 20's. I ordered one of each (SBEll in 12ga and 870 in 20ga). When they get here, I will let you know how they shoot.