turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do mouth calls go bad/get old

Started by Hankyorke, February 10, 2013, 06:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankyorke

Hey guys, just getting back into turkey hunting after a 15 year hiatus. I've got some Cane Creek Calls that I used and really liked last year. They have been in the fridge since and still sound good, at least to me... But I am reading about a lot if guys refreshing after one year.
So do mouth calls have a shelf life or go bad after a certain amount of time, or is the refresh just because of a new call?
Thanks

Chris Downs

Mouth calls will eventually go bad...no matter what you do.  Latex has a shelf life and once it is used, it starts to go bad.  Best thing you can do is clean them thoroughly after the season goes out and use some type of reed seperator to slide between the reeds, then store them in the fridge.  I love Cane Creeks, but never get more than a year to two years out of them...at the most.

vtmchunter

Yes, mouth call do go bad.  When your reeds start to stick together, rip, and stretch out, they are going bad.  The guy above saying to separate the reeds, somthing like flat toothpicks, that works good.  And storing them in the fridge helps.

I hunt 3-4 mornings a week for the first 4-5 weeks of the season, or until I tag out.  The cost of 3 new mouth calls each year to start fresh is just something I pay.  New calls definitely sound better.  Once all your reeds starting sticking together and you have to fight them apart, its time to think about new ones.

Hankyorke

I agree, new mouth calls are a drop in the bucket comparatively.  Learned something new to day. Thanks

WildSpur

Just a tip....if you reuse this year let them sit for a minute in a mouthwash/water mix.  Could kill any dormant bacteria that could get you sick.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

nate12285

:agreed:
Quote from: WildSpur on February 11, 2013, 10:20:02 AM
Just a tip....if you reuse this year let them sit for a minute in a mouthwash/water mix.  Could kill any dormant bacteria that could get you sick.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Gooserbat

As a call builder I can say, yes they wear out.  Diaphragms are by nature of the matireal used a disposable product.  That being said there are several things that can extend the life of your calls.  Store them in a dark, cool place like the refrigarator.  keep flat tooth pick between the reeds, and a bath in mouth wash from time to time for your self.  But still they won't last for ever.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jbird22

I've found the best thing for mouth calls is the freezer. My mouth calls live in there, even during season. When I get in from hunting I'll rinse them off with tap water and make sure the reeds aren't stuck. Then I'll shake them dry, just to remove the excess water. By shaking them dry, you still have moisture between the freed reeds which will freeze and then thaw instantly when you put em back in your mouth. To me, the life of a mouth call is making sure the reeds don't stick. I do believe in mouthwash (alcohol free, Crest Prohealth) every so often to keep the germs at bay. I'm using calls from a year or two ago and they sound just fine. I usually end up retiring them before they really wear out.

paboxcall

As mentioned above, a mouth call is by design a disposable call.  Reeds stretch and tear, and tape begins to wear out.  Its pretty fragile when you think about it.

About 6-7 years ago a week long spring hunt got cut in half due to a sore throat and fever that landed me in the doctor's office back home.  Since then I always, religiously, without fail sanitize my mouth call after every hunt using a 60/40 blend of Listerine and water.  I then let the call dry before putting it back into service.

For the cost of a mouth call -- about $6 each -- I never use a mouth call longer than a couple days in a row and then I trash it for a new one. 

Considering the price of a gallon of gas, and all the other things that we purchase or consume during our spring hunts, saving $6 isn't worth the risk of getting sick IMO.  A single doctor copay will buy a handful of mouth calls.....
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot