turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Taking kids hunting

Started by FullChoke, February 10, 2013, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

I will get the chance to take my new 11 year old grandson to the turkey woods this year. Although he and I squirrel hunted last year, this will be his first turkey hunt and he is completely fired up about it! I know that I am!

How many of you fellows will be heading to the woods with youngins this year? BTW, remember that there is a new separate category on the OG board to post and score gobblers taken by kids.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

I do!! my oldest is 6 and was able to take his first deer last fall.Hoping to get his first bird this spring.Have had a lot of people tell me 6 is too young but he showed me how he could handle a gun without complaining of recoil(using a .410)He shot his deer with a .243 and would shoot it as long as I let him and never once wanted to quit because of recoil.get a real joy taking kids hunting,but taking your own is really special.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

gophert

This will be Leah's (age 12) 3rd year to hunt with her own gun.  She has been successful in taking a bird each of the last 2 years and I have them all on video, even her first.  To top it off, both of her birds are bigger than any bird I have ever killed.  This year, my goal is for her to actually do the calling.  She can run her box call pretty good and also has a push-pin.  I spend a lot of time behind the lens of a video camera with her and I LOVE every minute. 

Sand Man

I love seeing kids experience the outdoors.  Mine isn't old enough to go yet, but my best friend who I introduced to turkey hunting and actually called in his first bird for him has an 8 year old we hope to put on a bird this year.  Just couldn't seal the deal last year.  I think it would be too cool if I got to call in his first bird for him as well.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Eric Gregg

Don't have any children of my own yet but I will try to carry a friend and introduce them to the sport.

FullChoke

This Friday is the opening of the Youth Turkey season here in Mississippi! If things work out the way I am hoping it will, I might have a new hunting partner with a big ole tom hung over his shoulder, and that, gentlemen. would make me very, very happy.

Be Safe
Have Fun
Kill Gobblers

...in that order.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Sand Man

Good luck FC.  Looks like my trip to Bama on opening weekend is falling thru.  Hopefully I can make it back to MS for the opener instead.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

FullChoke

Gentlemen, I am more than a little excited about taking my grandson to the spring woods tomorrow. We are already seeing reports on the state boards of youth gettin' it done like the big dogs! He will be shooting my 870 and unleashing the fury of the TSS 9s on their poor, knotty heads.

Let the Games begin!

FullChoke

Eric Gregg

The gauntlet has been thrown down!