Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tape over the end of a muzzle on a shotgun…?

Started by Full_Fan, February 09, 2013, 04:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full_Fan

For years when rifle hunting biggame I have put a small piece of black electrical tape over the muzzle of my rifle to prevent anything inadvertently from getting into the barrel.  Doesn't affect anything accuracy-wise or anything else.

So I was thinking, could I do this same thing with my turkey shotgun?  A small piece over the end of the extend choke to prevent anything from getting pushed or falling in the muzzle?  I wouldn't think I would have to cover up the porting in the choke but even if I did would there be any ill effect?

Anybody ever try this?

allaboutshooting

I've never covered the muzzle of a shotgun as I have with rifles, using a small piece of tape. When I hunt on rainy days I try to keep the muzzle down.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mikejd

Try it and let us know. I have a feeling it will affect differently then on a rifle.

Full_Fan

Clark - I too try to keep the muzzle down.  But since this seems to be a pretty common practice out west on rifles, I was just wondering is anybody did it on a shotgun.  My turkey gun can get drug through some pretty rough conditions and it would be just one less thing to worry about.

runngun

I have a friend who puts tape over the end of his Knight TK 2000 with no ill effects other than on turkeys. He has killed several with tape on the barell.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Full_Fan

With the pressure generated with a shot coming out of the barrel I wouldn't think a piece of electrical tape would change anything but I'm no expert either.  Runngun - I always do it on my smokepole as well but never tried it on a shotgun.  It's pretty easy and cheap insurance that nothing gets in the barrel.  To tell you the truth, I'm suprised not more folks have done this or heard of doing it on here.  I guess I could try it and see if it changes anything... just another excuse to throw some more pellets :)

runngun

That is what we buy shells for, shootem up, at paper or turkeys.  I thought the op was talking about a muzzleloading shotgun, sorry. I know it works for them and I would think it would not hurt a thing in a smokeless shotgun. When it warms up I will try too.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

That is a good practice with a Muzzle Loading Rifle.  Remember, George Washington told his troops, "Keep your powder dry".

appalachianstruttstopper

Better be careful, You could swell the barrel. Doesn't take a whole lot of pressure on the front side of the shot to swell a shotgun barrel.

CrustyRusty

I use finger cots.  They are like small balloons that you can get at a drug store.  They are made to cover injuries/cuts on fingers to keep them clean and since they are not tape they dont leave residue.

appalachianstruttstopper

:icon_thumright: work great. I use these on every gun in my safe.

Turkey Trot

In WWII, air crews typically placed tape over guns on aircraft to keep moisture out that might freeze at high altitude.  The rounds went right through with no problem.  There is a lot of dogfighting footage that shows tape remnants flapping around muzzles.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

appalachianstruttstopper

Rifle barrels are much thicker than shotgun barrels and have less affect with obstructions on the end of the barrel. Pressures inside a rifle exceeds 65000psi, where a shotgun barrel is around 11000 psi. I have heard of alot of cases that shotgun barrels being blown, and more so swelled because of barrel obstructions. I don't personaly know how much it would take to swell a shotgun barrel, I would just be real careful on something that is easily damaged. When I hunt in the rain, I always take my gun completely apart to clean and dry it anyways. Don't see where water and moisture inside the barrel would hurt anything any worse til you get home to clean them. 2012 season I was in more thunderstorms than the previous 20yrs combined. I think my gun got cleaned more in 5 weeks last year than the entire 8 yrs I've had it.

Full_Fan

All very good information guys.  Thanks for sharing.  Still hard to believe that a small piece of tape could restrict the pressure from exiting the muzzle enough to swell or damage the barrel but a person can't be careful enough.