turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old School turkey gun?

Started by woodchip, February 06, 2013, 01:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchip

A lot of guys post up pics of their old school remingtons.  I was just wondering if this is considered an old school mossberg.  It has some older realtree camo on it.

This is actually my dad's shotgun but he doesn't hunt anymore.  I plan on using it for a backup this year.  I just ordered one of the stardot chokes from Colonial Arms and plan on polishing the barrel.  Hope it patterns well.

BrowningGuy88

That definitely has some old school camo. I believe the original Mossy 835's had "corn cob" forearms.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Daman on February 06, 2013, 02:04:46 PM
That definitely has some old school camo. I believe the original Mossy 835's had "corn cob" forearms.

That's the one I have. She's a shooter.

Quote from: woodchip on February 06, 2013, 01:56:45 PM
A lot of guys post up pics of their old school remingtons.  I was just wondering if this is considered an old school mossberg.  It has some older realtree camo on it.

I plan on using it for a backup this year.  I just ordered one of the stardot chokes from Colonial Arms for it and plan on polishing the barrel.   

Back up?...  My prediction is your Dads Ol Mossy with the new Star Dot, Will not play second fiddle.  ;D
Congrats on a fine turkey slayer!
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

nate12285

allaboutshooting

Quote from: woodchip on February 06, 2013, 01:56:45 PM

This is actually my dad's shotgun but he doesn't hunt anymore.  I plan on using it for a backup this year.  I just ordered one of the stardot chokes from Colonial Arms and plan on polishing the barrel.  Hope it patterns well.

That's definitely an older 835. I had one with that same pattern many years ago.

I'd recommend that before you do anything else, you "deep clean" the bore of that gun. That's likely all that it will need.

I'd also recommend that you consider using 3" shells through that gun, even though it will chamber and fire 3.5" shells. The 3" will do everything that you need and is not quite so hard on the shoulder. Even if recoil does not particularly bother you, it can be very important at times to get off a 2nd shot. The 3" shells will allow you to do that more quickly with that gun.

Lastly, with the age of that gun, the recoil pad will feel more like a brick than rubber. The really harden over time. If you want to keep it original, you could use a slip-over pad, Shooter's Friend or Limbsaver, or if not, I'd recommend a Limbsaver pad.

Good luck with that gun this spring. I think you'll love it.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. If you'd like the recommendations for the "Deep Cleaning" process, just click on the allaboutshooting banner below, click on it and go the article, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel"
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chrmayo

My grandfather uses this same gun. Non ported barrel and factory non ported choke. He uses the 3" Hevi 6s and its has killed many birds.
-MAYO-

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase