OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 TC encore choke questions

Started by redsquirrelnj, February 02, 2013, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsquirrelnj

Hi everybody.

Just got my new TC encore pro hunter 12 gauge turkey and I'm working on getting it set up.

1.  I read somewhere that the turkey choke that comes with it is a carlson and therefore it is ok for hevi-shot? Can anyone confirm this?

2.  Does anyone have any choke recommendations to try out?

Thanks for the help.

chatterbox

Whatever William Lambert at SumToy chokes says.
He goes by SumToy on here. I would shoot him a PM.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: redsquirrelnj on February 02, 2013, 11:40:30 AM
Hi everybody.

Just got my new TC encore pro hunter 12 gauge turkey and I'm working on getting it set up.

1.  I read somewhere that the turkey choke that comes with it is a carlson and therefore it is ok for hevi-shot? Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for the help.

First of all welcome to OG and congratulations on your new TC Encore. I believe that all of Carlson's chokes are Hevi-Shot approved. I can't however confirm that your choke is made by Carlson's. Many manufacturers use several choke makers for the chokes that they provide with their guns.

If it's a "lead only" choke, normally it will say that on the choke or in your owner's booklet. If you can't find that information you can call or email TC and I'm sure they'll be pleased to provide that information for you.

Your gun uses the Win-Choke thread pattern and chokes with those threads are widely available in many commercial brands and in many different exit diameters.

Many recommendations would be based on the brand of shell and the type of shot, lead or tungsten-based, and the shot size that you plan to use.

The very best patterns normally come from either #6 or #7 tungsten-based shot. I see my best patterns from 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot.

When it comes to turkey chokes, many people have a brand that they prefer. It's normally best to speak with someone who actually shoots the gun you have and who has tried a variety of shells and chokes.

If you'll let us know a little more about what shell(s) you have in mind, we may be able to be of more help to you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

redsquirrelnj

Quote from: chatterbox on February 02, 2013, 11:49:31 AM
Whatever William Lambert at SumToy chokes says.
He goes by SumToy on here. I would shoot him a PM.
Thanks.

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 02, 2013, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: redsquirrelnj on February 02, 2013, 11:40:30 AM
Hi everybody.

Thanks for the help.

First of all welcome to OG and congratulations on your new TC Encore.

Thanks!
I believe that all of Carlson's chokes are Hevi-Shot approved. I can't however confirm that your choke is made by Carlson's. Many manufacturers use several choke makers for the chokes that they provide with their guns.

If it's a "lead only" choke, normally it will say that on the choke or in your owner's booklet. If you can't find that information you can call or email TC and I'm sure they'll be pleased to provide that information for you.

I checked in the owners manual and all it says is do not use steel shot in full or turkey chokes, so I will assume that I should not Hevi-shot.

Your gun uses the Win-Choke thread pattern and chokes with those threads are widely available in many commercial brands and in many different exit diameters.

Many recommendations would be based on the brand of shell and the type of shot, lead or tungsten-based, and the shot size that you plan to use.

The very best patterns normally come from either #6 or #7 tungsten-based shot. I see my best patterns from 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot.

When it comes to turkey chokes, many people have a brand that they prefer. It's normally best to speak with someone who actually shoots the gun you have and who has tried a variety of shells and chokes.

If you'll let us know a little more about what shell(s) you have in mind, we may be able to be of more help to you.

I do plan on shooting Hevi-13 3" in either 6 or 7 shot.  I also know that I need to experiment to find what is optimal for my gun/choke.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks for all of your help!

runngun

The one that came with mine is a Carlson's. And I have shot hevi with it even Nitros. But my best patterns was with Indian Creek, shooting Nitros and Hevi 13 7s.
I will say this, I had fits with my encore shooting high, so for awhile I shot it with a Nikon turkey scope. But soon tired of that, so I called TC and got them to send me some other front sites and finally got i dailed in. The encore is quiet handy in the turkey woods and is a dream to tote. Some days I pack the encore, mst days I pack the Browning 10 gauge.

Good luck and God Bless
Ray
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

chatterbox

Quote from: barron3407 on February 02, 2013, 05:43:15 PM
I use The Jellyhead choke with a .660 constriction in my Encore. With the Nitro 4x5x7 378i load. Deadly combination.
That has to kick like a mule on steroids! I'm flinching just typing this!

redsquirrelnj