OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: any one have personal experience with this?  (Read 10160 times)

Offline archery1

• Longbeard
any one have personal experience with this?
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
I have been thinkin on puttin camo on some of my guns..
saw these diy kits with film activator and more..  i no u can send out an have them done but i do like to do stuff myself and take pride in  it.. i didnt no if anybody had personal experience with these diy kits with film and how they lasted  (  held up ) compared to  sending ur old  gun out to have donfor twice as much ...
i do realize u must prep it correctly and that seems to be the hardest and most important part .
Take a kid hunting

Offline whiskey

any one have personal experience with this?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
Interested in these kits also.

Offline Dr^ke

Re: any one have personal experience with this?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
Check this out. It's a tutorial on how to do it.
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36000

Offline Mike Honcho

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »
One of my buddies just bought a rather expensive kit and did a rifle stock and a scope.

It's definitely not as easy as you might think and hard to get perfect. I'll

ask him tomorrow if he would reply here with his observations.

I think he would pay to send out to a professional service next time.

Offline archery1

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:19:11 AM »
i saw that paint job...

looks real nice but i was lookign at one of those film kits

if anyone ever did one or knew someone that did
give a reply

thanks
Take a kid hunting

Offline MEbeardlover

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »
No personal experience with this, but one alternative might be camo wrap. It is available at L.L. Bean for $14 a roll, plenty to cover a shotgun. The wrap is flexible, and it clings to itself and nothing else. It comes on and off very easily, leaves no residue. If you are looking for a permanent solution, this is not it. If you are looking for temporary camo for hunts, this could do it.

Offline JB10

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:08:04 PM »
My brother-in-law and I tried to start a business doing camo dipping on the side. It is not as easy as they make it look on youtube. Each gun part has to be dipped at certain angles in order to get complete coverage. In most cases, complete coverage didn't happen for us and we had to do a little touch up. Depending on the type of material (wood, synthetic, metal) you will have to do different treatments to the material to ensure good adhesion. Water also needs to be a certain temp, usually from 88-92 degrees. Lots of trial and error to figure which was good for us. There are a lot of ways to screw something up and it took us several trial runs to turn out anything I would sell to a customer. We have since put the business on the back burner due to not having enough time. I will say, when we finally did get something to come out looking good, it was extremely rewarding.

If you are wanting to do it anyway I would suggest going "Liquid Concepts" web site. They have a forum on this and most of those guys do it full time and are very knowledgeable. They will be the first to tell you it is not an easy thing to do.

Offline chcltlabz

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »
I just bought two kits from Mossy Oak Graphics and it was super easy and looks great.  Haven't hunted with it yet, but even if it lasts a season and I have to replace it it will be well worth it.

Had several guns dipped, and they don't last and are expensive.  For 1/10th the price, I'll buy the camo kits and do it myself.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of ‘up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Offline WyoHunter

• Double Beard
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »
I've heard good comments about Mossy Oak Graphics.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Offline Tony Hawkins

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 06:00:26 PM »
Resurrecting this thread because the Mossy Oak obsession kit I put on a Browning Gold 3 years ago still looks great.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 06:05:56 PM »
You truly have to be very tedious in making sure the gun and the dipping tank you are using is incredibly clean. I have seen those that have only done a quick job of it and it has turned out horrible, if at all. I have seen those that thought they had it done well and again it did not turn out well. Just be sure there are no oils or if you have sanded the stock wood or plastic that you have cleaned it very well and make sue there is nothing in the tank, don't just take it out of the package and think it is clean, clean it and clean it well. As I said I have only seen it done, but I saw what messed them up and I saw what made them turn out well. Just take your time. Hope to see pictures when you are done.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 01:10:28 PM »
I'll be DIY dipping couple guns starting next week. An abused 1187 to start with and a new stoeger 3020. I'll be using Original bottomlands film and base coat. Plan to start prep work and blasting on Mon. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »
Just finished up the1187. It's was pretty messed up. Rusting and some pitting on the receiver. It's not perfect but it's way better than it was just sitting in the closet collecting dust. I think the OS Bottomlands pattern is a good choice for someone trying this for the first time. It's pretty receptive to a little touch up specially around the vent rib and little crannies that don't take the dip well. A little of the base coat and some black with a smidge red mixed in goes along ways to clearing up imperfections.

The 3020 needs some more clear coat and will be completed as well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 05:00:44 PM by Paulmyr »
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.