Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Kill and Hunt Stories/Congrats Thread.

Started by bornagain64, January 31, 2013, 03:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

Tell us about your hunt here. Even if you do not harvest a bird, share your stories.
We can all learn from the experiences.

Also offer your congratulations here.

bornagain64

John and I went out this morning for our first hunt of the year. After getting up at 2:20 am, we headed out to wait in line with all the other permit holders. We got to our listening spots at about 5:30 and settled in for a long cold wait for the sunrise with hopes of having some birds sound off. At about 7:15 there were several gobblers going at it well off in the distance but nothing real close. It just so happens I ended up setting up within 75 yards of some roosted hens. I went back and forth with the hens with some soft tree talking until one of them flew down into some pretty thick stuff. No sooner than she hit the ground came the sound that I think is so cool....spitting and drumming.  This went on for about a half an hour be for I even got a glimpse of him...make that them....there was two of them.  A soft yelp on my pot call and they were on there way to meet up with Reba (my DSD decoy). The rest is history.  John will post up the stats later.     
   We will be back after them tomorrow to fill John's tag.
      Ray

Uhadme@gobble

congrats Ray.......nice bird! good luck John!

firstflight111

CUPPED AND COMMITTED

bornagain64

Congrats to Trevor and Timber jack.

Lets hear some of the stories of these hunts?

John

timberjack86

Quote from: bornagain64 on April 01, 2013, 01:52:55 PM
Congrats to Trevor and Timber jack.

Lets hear some of the stories of these hunts?

John
Thanks. Theres not much to tell.  We had a lot of rain that morning so I decided to sleep in. I got to my hunting area about 11:50 a.m I started down the road to set up in some woods near a field and decided to hit my box call hopeing for a shock gobble. I heard a stick crack behind me and saw him running towards me. So I shot him in the face :fud:

neverstopchasin

This i the biggest bird i have ever killed and was the best bird i ever worked. got to the farm i been hunting where the owner had let some of his other buddies start hunting this yr also and happened to be the only one there. i hope since none gobbled last wk end the think there is no birds there but i knew there was they just hadnt gotten fired up yet. i got there as it was breakin light and was bout to hit the hooter them birds was goin off in all directions and didnt know which one to go after but where this bird was i knew the area well and knew with it already bein light i could get closer to him so i headed out. i got back to the field he was roosted by and was gonna hit a call to see where he was at they he hammered again wnd was still back in the woods on the other side so i slipped through the woods beside the field and cut the corner off and got within 75 yards and sit down and hit a call and he answered back but a lil farther away. i was thinkin i had messed up gettin that close the he hammered again closin in. we played around a few minutes then i went quiet and he gobbled a few times then shut up to then z few min later i heard him spittin and drummin and he was 15 steps behind me but i couldnt move. he pass to my right at 20 but i still couldnt move then he cut back in the woods but i never could getta shot because it was a thicket. then a hen started cuttin behind me but he never would answer her but answered to anything i done then he came back through the thicket in front of me but still no shot. then i heard him drummin goin the same way he did before and i thought he would follow the hen that went across the field but got turned around anyway and started callin and he came right back through but at 50 this time but i was ready and the 870 put him on his back.  :blob10:

bornagain64

Congrats to neverstopchasin. Sounds like an exciting hunt.
Great bird.

Congrats to Uhadme@gobble. Can not wait to hear your story.

I am going back out tomorrow, I am hoping to get a bird for the team.
It is a team effort.
:drool: This is me right now, with all you guys getting birds.

John

bornagain64

2 Osceola s down! Doubled up with my brother today. I called them in using a call I made and a Hooks Executioner mouth call.

Got to the spot before sun up, started to sneak in at first light. We heard him gooble, he was about 100-150 yards out. We set up quick thru out Delilah, my dsd decoy, and started some soft calling. They never gobbled to any of my calling and they started going away. My brother is not a turkey hunter, this was only his 3rd time hunting, so I had to try and keep him cool and explain things as I could. He heard them gobble way off and wanted to go after them. I would do some yelps and cuts every 10 minutes, but did not call that much at all. After about 20 minutes I heard some cackles , so I cut and yelped with the mouth call. 5 minutes later I heard some cuts a little closer, so I cut and yelped with the mouth call again.
The hens were on there way, and I was hoping the gobbler was with them.
The Gobbler was with them and he had a buddy with him. The gobblers went behind a clump of trees about 3 yards behind Delilah, I did a couple clucks and purrs with the mouth call and they spun around and looked at Delilah. I did a couple more and they started heading right to her.
Birds down, flopped around a few times and we had 2 birds on the ground. Took some pictures and packed up , we had about 1 1/4 mile walk out, headed for the truck by 8:00 am.

timberjack86

timberjack86

jarbo03

Great job guys!;D;D;D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Uhadme@gobble

neverstopchasin

congrats on the double! if i could get timberjacks wife to let him go play we might could get a double :z-guntootsmiley:

Trevor2

Atta way congrats guys. I got my second of the season this morning. Got set up before light in same spot I killed #1 and waited, well at 7:01 am I heard something. Wasnt quite sure as it was 700-800 yards off. He gobbled 3 times before i made up my mind that it was a gobble. Hauled  over to his ridge and was closing the distance. I thought he was bout 150 yards still yet and I was gonna get to 100 and plop down and start work. Well I took not even 5 more steps and he hammered not even 75 yards to my left. I immediately set down and waited 5 mins and gave him some soft calling. Nothing, never heard from him again. Waited till 9 calling lightly every so often but no luck. I got up and swung down in the holler and made it bout 1/4 mile when I struck one up. 15 mins later I had a strutting jake with a full gobble in front of me gobblin his fool head off. I just sat and watched for 20-25 mins or so. Finally decided to put an end to the show at hand and treat the jake like the big boy he was acting like. Misjudged my distance. Was thinking he was bout 50 but rolled him up at 68 yards. Even at that distance his head was mush. 5" beard, 1/2" spurs and 15 lbs.#2 only 2 left. :newmascot:
Strutstopper