North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Show us your assault weapons

Started by FullChoke, January 28, 2013, 10:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

OK, too soon? Anyway.

We are a team of men who don't need to compensate for being short-changed in any other aspect of our lives. We are a team of men confident in our abilities, our woodmanship, our preparation and our due diligence at the gun range patterning boards. Our commonality and confidence is found in our team name, The Roaring 20's! Got gun? Yer doggone right! Show us the last thing that many gobblers will ever hear Roaring in this world. 
:z-guntootsmiley: :icon_thumright:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

FullChoke

Here is an old photo of my shootin' iron. It's a Remington 870 Express, NWTF edition, 20 gauge fitted with a Remington Super Full choke tube, a deep-cleaned barrel polished to a blinding mirror finish, a Mueller QuickShot reflex sight and a home-made comb riser fashioned from a neoprene wetsuit. I will be shooting my own handloads this year using Tungsten Super Shot, 18g/cc in #9's. The patterns that I have seen with the 20 gauge TSS's translate to simply nothing short of cold blooded murder. Any gobbler who approaches within, (what are we supposed to say? oh yeah) 40 yards shall not return from whence he cometh.

I mention that this is an old photo because I am presently in the midst of a major going over of the old girl. When I am finished, she will be sporting a hand woven paracord camo sling and will be burning up the runway in a new custom painted camouflage like nothing you have ever seen before (pun intended)! 

Cheers  :z-guntootsmiley:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mightyjoeyoung

My Little Monster Now wears a Shur Shot stock and a Bushnell TR-25 red dot sight.  Not pictured is my soon to be TC Encore in Realtree AP that I just bought.  My thumbhole 835 is every big gobblers' nightmare.  It has taken over 100 spring birds, at least 70 fall birds and has removed the head of two gobblers inside of 15 yards.   :you_rock:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Sand Man

Here's mine:

Mine started life as a youth model Remington 870 20ga in order to get the 21" barrel with wood furniture.  A buddy of mine picked it up in a pawn shop for me for $160.  I then took the wood butt stock off and replaced it with a Knoxx Adjustable pistol grip stock.  I put a limbsaver recoil pad on the Knoxx.  Next I took the wood forearm off and replaced it with a factory Remington 20ga synthetic.  I also replaced the factory end cap with one that has the sling swivel built in.  Next I had the receiver drilled and tapped for a base.  Afterwards, I attaced a Burris FFII with a Warbird guard.  I then polished the barrel.  I shot TSS 1 5/8oz #9 handloads thru a Remington Super Full Lead Only choke.  Here are the patterns:

I missed the pattern board a little to the right on the first pattern, so I felt I didn't get an accurate enough pattern on that barrel.  So, I decide to shoot another TSS reload thru that barrel.  I shot a 3" 1oz TSS #9 and 7/16oz TSS #8 duplex load.  Again, shot at 40 yards.  Here's the pattern:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

FullChoke

Russ,

The graphics on your gun are somewhat more advanced than leaves and a can of spray paint. Is this your doing, a tutorial or help from a friend?

FC

Gagry

Gagry

Franchi Affinity bought it a couple of weeks ago. I talked to William at Sumtoy and he sent me a choke, got it in the mail today, cant wait to shoot it.

gophert

The one in the middle is mine.  The top one is my daughter's.  The camo one is my Remington 1100 that hardly ever gets in the turkey woods.  I have since sold the ATI stock that is pictured there and added a Knoxx to mine as well.  The only difference between mine and my daughters is the shorter forearm on her's and the fact that her's out patterns mine by a long shot. 

Sand Man

Quote from: FullChoke on January 31, 2013, 11:12:37 AM
Russ,

The graphics on your gun are somewhat more advanced than leaves and a can of spray paint. Is this your doing, a tutorial or help from a friend?

FC

FC,
Kind of a combination of all three.  I got the inspiration to try and paint my gun from a duck hunting website.  I think it was duckhuntingchat.com or something similar.  The guy had rattle can painted his duck hunting gun.  After seeing his instructions, I figured the worst I could do was paint it, hate it, sand it back down, and have it professionally dipped.  So that set the wheels in motion.  I decided I wanted the turkey tracks integrated into the paint job where it looked like a turkey walked down my gun.  I can't begin to tell you how tedious it was to cut those turkey tracks out of masking tap to put on the gun.  I had a friend help me hold the stencils when painting where I could add the bark and grass patterns.

I actually think less is more after doing mine.  I went way overboard, and I'm not crazy about my finish product.  My dad wants me to do his, so I think I'm going to go with the old school treebark pattern theme for his, but try to integrate the turkey trucks in as the yellows green like you see in early spring on the oak leafs.  I think that would make the tracks pop on the gun, but still give it that spring camo look.

I'm building two more youth 20's right now for friends.  They want me to paint theirs as well, but there's just not enough time in the day.  There's will probably black this season.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

mightyjoeyoung

Here is my new addition to the lineup for this spring!  I have a Realtree AP Prohunter stock on order and the fram will either be camo-clad or I'll have it dipped...can't decide yet.  The complete set up wears a FF II with the Warbird gaurd but it came to me with the full camo R.T.A.P. Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4x32mm circle-plex scope.  Might just have to keep the scope on as it just looks almost too sexy to leave off. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Eric Gregg

Here is my weapon of mass destruction!
Rem 870 20ga with ShurShot stock. It now has a 28" barrell instead of the 22 shown in the pic.
I use a REM SF choke rated for Hevi-shot with Fed #7 Heavyweight shells.

FullChoke

Eric,

I can't wait to get a report on this board that this Black Plague of yours has fulfilled it's longbearded, hook-spurred destiny!

FC

Eric Gregg

Quote from: FullChoke on February 08, 2013, 08:17:15 PM
Eric,

I can't wait to get a report on this board that this Black Plague of yours has fulfilled it's longbearded, hook-spurred destiny!

FC

I like "Black Plague"....I think I will name her that :thanks:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase