turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cabelas....Winchester Extended range

Started by savduck, January 28, 2013, 07:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Just got my Spring catalog.......they only have #4s of extended range.

Maybe my predection is coming true after all. Better get them while they are hot.
Georgia Boy

mightyjoeyoung

Like I posted in the other thread about it...they are completely out of it in catalog/internet sales and the lady on the phone told me that only the retail stores currently have any and even that is of a very limited stock.  Hope they don't up and go messing with this loading like they did their steel waterfowl loads...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

savduck

I posted up i had heard a rumor that several of the big ammo guys were gonna sell their remaining stock of HTL based shells and then when they were out, they were out.

Cabelas only offering the #4s tells me my prediction is pretty spot on. #4s is probably the slowest seller of the 3 sizes. They probably have a lot of those left in stock. A chain like Cabelas who buys 100k rounds of ammo at a time for all their stores not even listing 5 or 6s in the catalog tells you something. If they were gonna get an order it would be listed, and then they would just send you a back order.

I predict its done. they arent getting any.
Georgia Boy

Onpoint

I called and talked to someone at Winchester a couple days ago. He said they were on schedule to manufacture the extended range.

savduck

Time will tell.

I just cant believe that a big chain store like Cabelas who buys HUGE quantities of these shells wouldnt list them in the turkey catalog if Winchester was going to load them. Their ammo purchasing manager has to have contact with Winchester. If they knew the ammo hadnt been loaded yet, they would still have it listed as being available, these are very popular turkey shells. If you ordered, they would just put it on back order until their stock came in. Hopefully it is an error that Cabelas left them out....to me based on what I was told by someone in the shooting industry, I think the writing is on the wall.
Georgia Boy

ccleroy

Glad I got about 6 boxes of 3.5" 6's left.....

BowBendr

Quote from: savduck on January 28, 2013, 07:56:28 PM
I posted up i had heard a rumor that several of the big ammo guys were gonna sell their remaining stock of HTL based shells and then when they were out, they were out.

Is your prediction based on the price of tungsten futures out-growing the consumer demand for the loaded shells, or are there supposed environmental issues surrounding tungsten ?

I've heard rumors going both ways......

savduck

Quote from: BowBendr on January 28, 2013, 09:01:35 PM
Quote from: savduck on January 28, 2013, 07:56:28 PM

Is your prediction based on the price of tungsten futures out-growing the consumer demand for the loaded shells, or are there supposed environmental issues surrounding tungsten ?

I've heard rumors going both ways......

Price.

The gentleman that I spoke with told me that one of his contacts from a big ammo supplier told him that they would be loading their current stock of components, when they were out they were out. They said they would have to sell a box of shells for 70 bucks to turn a profit. Out of confidentiality he did not mention the name of that company, but he did suggest that I buy the type of HTL while I could find them. I stocked up on what i like. The way i look at it, even if ammo makers continue to load the shells, price has to go up, so i still got a deal, and if they do go away then I got a good stash.
Georgia Boy

WildSpur

I too find it odd about the listing.

I really wish they would come out with a 1/4oz heavier payload and #7 shot too.

Cluck more, yelp less

TheSportsman

False....  At the hunting store I work at part time, right down the road is one of the winchester ammo plants.  The guys from the plant always come in the store and "bs" with us.  I asked them about the  discontinuing of Xtended Range and the answers all have been that they are not going to do away with it anytime soon.

savduck

Georgia Boy

CASH

This is in the Mack's Prairie Wings catalog I received today

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

chatterbox

I too have heard the rumors that the HTL shells will eventually become to costly to produce, and with the cost of tungsten going through the roof, it does appear that these might just make them too costly for the companies to mass produce.
I have no issue paying 45.00 a box for my XRHD, but would not spend 60.00 or more for the same box.
We turkey hunters on these forums are a small segment of the hunting population. I know 2 of my buddies I converted to HTL shells, but if I hadn't been a member of a forum like this, I would still be shooting lead, not being any wiser.
Why do you think Federal won't change the FCW wad? The same reason. Companies like Winchester, Federal and the like are making millions selling their lead loads. I don't see why they would let over priced HTL sit in their warehouses while their lead sells like hotcakes. Doesn't make good business sense.

CASH

Quote from: chatterbox on January 29, 2013, 07:59:35 PM
I too have heard the rumors that the HTL shells will eventually become to costly to produce, and with the cost of tungsten going through the roof, it does appear that these might just make them too costly for the companies to mass produce.
I have no issue paying 45.00 a box for my XRHD, but would not spend 60.00 or more for the same box.
We turkey hunters on these forums are a small segment of the hunting population. I know 2 of my buddies I converted to HTL shells, but if I hadn't been a member of a forum like this, I would still be shooting lead, not being any wiser.
Why do you think Federal won't change the FCW wad? The same reason. Companies like Winchester, Federal and the like are making millions selling their lead loads. I don't see why they would let over priced HTL sit in their warehouses while their lead sells like hotcakes. Doesn't make good business sense.

That's why I've been stocking up on lead
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.