OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fed Heavyweight 6's

Started by Spring Creek Calls, January 17, 2013, 05:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

I was in an area gun shop yesterday and found 2 older boxes of Fed HW 6's. These were the 10 packs with flitecontrol wad, 3" 1-5/8 0z. They were marked $25.99. Seemed like a good deal, what do you think?
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

gatrkyhntr70

thats  good deal; those hvwt #6s would hit like a freight train!
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobblez on January 17, 2013, 05:23:55 PM
I was in an area gun shop yesterday and found 2 older boxes of Fed HW 6's. These were the 10 packs with flitecontrol wad, 3" 1-5/8 0z. They were marked $25.99. Seemed like a good deal, what do you think?

That's a low price by current standards. I've shot a lot of those shells. They are quite different from the #7 shot shells however.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chatterbox

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 17, 2013, 07:18:36 PM

That's a low price by current standards. I've shot a lot of those shells. They are quite different from the #7 shot shells however.

Thanks,
Clark
Clark,

Do they not pattern as well as the 7's?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: chatterbox on January 17, 2013, 07:22:47 PM

Thanks,
Clark
Clark,

It's much more difficult to shape that shot charge. The #7 shot shells seem to conform to the interior dimensions of chokes more easily. The #6 shot shells are less forgiving.

Thanks,
Clark

chatterbox

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 17, 2013, 07:26:14 PM
Quote from: chatterbox on January 17, 2013, 07:22:47 PM

Thanks,
Clark
Clark,

It's much more difficult to shape that shot charge. The #7 shot shells seem to conform to the interior dimensions of chokes more easily. The #6 shot shells are less forgiving.

Thanks,
Clark
Thanks for the explanation, Clark!

allaboutshooting

PALongspur

I've had excellent results with Heavyweight 5s and 7s but only mediocre results with the 6s.

Others I've talked to have had similar results.

BrowningGuy88

I am running the 6's this year in my 20 gauge. The HWT 6's should definitely be a wrecking ball if you can get them to pattern. I would start with a non ported choke. Probably a Trulock.

BandedSpur

That's a great price on the 6s. With regards to patterns and performance, there is no reason to shoot anything in HW larger than 7s, except legality in the misguided states that allow no shot size smaller than 6. The HW 7s have more than enough energy to kill turkeys to ridiculous ranges. Anything larger than 7 actually decreases your effective range due to decreased pattern density.

Spring Creek Calls

Thanks guys! I shoot hevi 7's, but was thinking for that price they may make a good backup.  Mike

dirt road ninja

Are you going to give them a try? I would like to see the results.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 18, 2013, 01:49:25 PM
Are you going to give them a try? I would like to see the results.

I am going to give them a try. I've got a non ported x full tube and we'll see how they do.

mightyjoeyoung

See, now I had very good results with the 3.5" HW 6's in 4 of my  835's through an HS Undertaker hs choke.  Patterned really well for me in that combo.  Stuff absolutely FLATTENED some gobblers at ranges I refuse to discuss on here...  Never tried it through the other ones as it didn't exist when I owned the other them. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

outdoors

:OGturkeyhead: I'm knot trying too change the topic ,a hunting buddy shot a hog at 72yrds , walk it off , and it had 6 pellets , that's with a stock 835 turkey choke non ported , That was impressive ..
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field