OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester 1300

Started by danpsunurse, January 17, 2013, 05:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danpsunurse

:gobble: Hi:
Maybe this has been posted, but I am new to old gobbler and have yet to browse around, so I am looking for some advice. 
I know we all try to get get the best pattern by setting up the right gun, right choke tube, with the right load.

So here is my setup.... :OGturkeyhead:  Winchester 1300 (NWTF) camo, 23" barrel , 12 gauge, Kick's extended choke (Gobblin Thunder, .655),  Federal Flight control, size #6.

Thought about getting a new load Federal heavyweight, Winchester Xtended or Hevi Shot? 
Also thought about buying the Hevi shot choke then get Hevi shot turkey load?

Anyone with great setup for the Winchester 1300 or any thoughts!   :thanks:

Dan  :newmascot:

Spring Creek Calls

I have  the same gun and choke tube you're shooting. My best load that is even and dense is Hevi 13 #7's. The .655 likes the small shot, no bigger than 6's. If you try the heavyweight Fed's, I'd try the 7's. Good luck with your patterning!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

allaboutshooting

Quote from: danpsunurse on January 17, 2013, 05:02:23 PM
:gobble: Hi:
Maybe this has been posted, but I am new to old gobbler and have yet to browse around, so I am looking for some advice. 
I know we all try to get get the best pattern by setting up the right gun, right choke tube, with the right load.

So here is my setup.... :OGturkeyhead:  Winchester 1300 (NWTF) camo, 23" barrel , 12 gauge, Kick's extended choke (Gobblin Thunder, .655),  Federal Flight control, size #6.

Thought about getting a new load Federal heavyweight, Winchester Xtended or Hevi Shot? 
Also thought about buying the Hevi shot choke then get Hevi shot turkey load?

Anyone with great setup for the Winchester 1300 or any thoughts!   :thanks:

Dan  :newmascot:

Welcome to OG. That's a good gun and the Kick's choke is a fine product. It sounds like you're well on your way.

Thanks,
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

danpsunurse

Hey, this is really great to hear all the advice! I very happy I joined this site and use all the great resources. Thank you for your replies. 

mightyjoeyoung

You wouldn't happen to live around state college and be a nurse would you?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

SumToy

That gun will want to be in the 650 to 660 rang.  Now If you look into the Win ExRange or HV13 in the shells.   Now I hate to say try them in that choke because I did not build it.  They say not to so that is between you and Kick's.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

danpsunurse

:turkey2:

Gobblez,  was wondering if you tried Hevi shot in the #6.    Now correct me if I am wrong, but won't #7 not carry as far as #6.   

I also emailed Kicks and wanted there thoughts on why you can't shot Hevi shot or Winchester xtended.   Any thoughts. 

I wanted to take advantage of the Hevi shot rebate, so I hope I get a response from Kicks.  Thanks for your help.

:newmascot:

danpsunurse

Update: So this is email I sent and answer I received from Kicks.

"You can shoot any heavy type ammo through the choke with the exception of hevi shot brand ammo, that includes hevi 13...  I will give you the same disclaimer that is on all the hevi shot ammo...   The pellets are too hard with no buffering."

Chuck

Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:43 PM
To: info@kicks-ind.com
Subject: Kick gobblin thunder

Ok, I need to hear this from the manufactures mouth.   Can you shoot Hevi shot 13 or Federal Heavy weight from this choke tube? If not.  WHY?

Thanks,

Dan

WildSpur

So how does this work with federal ammo and the T9 stuff?  Is that stuff harder than the h13? 

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

danpsunurse

What I am thinking is Federal has a buffer round be-be. Say copper.  Winchester xtended and hevi-shot do not. I guess you can use these products if you want too, I assume Kicks does not want the liability of ruining you choke tube.  I might just stay with the Federal, but I plan on purchasing the Federal heavy weight.

Other problem is:  Federal states in the commercial/ infomercial that they do no re command a, "choke tube that strips the wade or reduce muzzle pressure."

So what the hell do I do with this choke.....annoying. :character0029:

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: danpsunurse on January 24, 2013, 02:18:10 PM
:turkey2:

Gobblez,  was wondering if you tried Hevi shot in the #6.    Now correct me if I am wrong, but won't #7 not carry as far as #6.   

I also emailed Kicks and wanted there thoughts on why you can't shot Hevi shot or Winchester xtended.   Any thoughts. 

I wanted to take advantage of the Hevi shot rebate, so I hope I get a response from Kicks.  Thanks for your help.

:newmascot:

I have shot Hevi 6's out of the GT, but prefer 7's for the density of the pattern. The 7's will kill a turkey beyond the 40 yard limit. I believe there's a bunch of guys that would agree with that.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

mightyjoeyoung

I have a 26" 1300 Universal Hunter that wears a HS Undertaker XT in .675 and it absolutely LOVES straight hevi 6s and mag blends.  Beautiful, even, dense patterns.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.