OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Making Food Plots even better  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Hhayes6

Making Food Plots even better
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:58:08 PM »
I recently watched brothers Mark an Terry Dury on T.V. Completely burn one of their big plots in Missouri that some sage brush and other tall stuff had completly taken over. They burned it 3 weeks prior to season and when they were hunting 3 weeks later it was beautiful with little green grass growing. A turkey paradise. I have 18 food plots here in AL. Depending on weather, most of the plots in mid season(Early April) are at least about 3 feet high and some higher. They consist of wheat, oats, and lots of turnips. I will get on the tractor and bush hog exactly half of the field and leave the other half high for cover etc. They will absoltley kill the pieces and little seeds that were bush hogged.

What do you guys do to make your plots/turkey holes even better for turkey? Besides throwing out seed. Anybody burn?

Offline darron

Re: Making Food Plots even better
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »
I have some 2-3 year old clover plots that they like to get in in the spring. Seems like the clover attracts all kinds of bugs/insects not to mention they like to eat it. I also have some fields of oats and rye planted with clover, but I usually have to spray the grains by end of april because they start getting too high to hunt over.

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
Re: Making Food Plots even better
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
We dont usually burn,but have gone it a couple weeks before the season and lightly disced up a area close to a food plot.same effect as burning,nice new growth and some bare ground to scratch around in.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"