News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 935

Started by BrowningGuy88, January 14, 2013, 02:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

Hey guys,

My LGS has a Mossy 935 Waterfowl with 26" barrel all black in stock and is willing to deal. I figure since my 870 20 gauge is finished a new project wouldn't hurt anything!

What say you guys? I went through two Benelli's this year (M2 Tactical and a Vinci) and just couldn't hang on to them. (My buddies wanted them worse than I did...) I am looking to pick up a 3.5" 12 gauge for a coyote calling rig in timber and will use on turkeys too.

Any opinions on the 935 are welcome!!!

Thanks
Daman

davisd9

Buddy shoots a 935 with a Mad Maxx choke made by IC.  He shoots the 3.5" Mag Blends in it with awesome results.  Have not heard anything bad about.  If the price is right I would jump on one with the 26" barrel.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Hey Daman,

I've had my 935 for several years and find it to be a great gun. Mine cycles all 12 gauge shells, including 2.75", even though the manual will tell you that it's not made to do that. I've never had a failure to feed with it and it will go a very long time with out having the gas system cleaned.

Mine has an excellent trigger that's very crisp, after just a bit of creep. Very good for a stock/factory shotgun trigger. It has a 27" barrel (actual measured length) and it's pretty smooth. It was pretty dirty when new but a thorough "deep clean" removed the gunk (grease and residue from the manufacturing process) and looks good now.

I have the "Mossy Oak Obsession" NWTF model but would prefer the black one.

It's not a light gun, mine unloaded is 7.6 lbs. and it is a bit front-end heavy. I put a neoprene sleeve over the comb of mine to help lessen cheek slap.

As you know it comes with shims to adjust drop and it's drilled and tapped. The recoil pad is pretty good but I do put a SF pad over it. Mine shoots to point of aim.

As far as a turkey gun, it works! It throws excellent patterns. I've patterned 3.5" and 3" shells but for the field I use 3" shells. They do everything that's needed and have much less recoil, as you know.

The only objection that I would have and really the only one that I've heard is about its weight. It can get heavy in the hills that I hunt. A good sling does help with that of course.

All in all, it's a great gun.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BrowningGuy88

Thanks guys! I am not worried about the weight, for when I am running and gunning I have the little 870 that is super lite!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Daman on January 14, 2013, 03:34:24 PM
Thanks guys! I am not worried about the weight, for when I am running and gunning I have the little 870 that is super lite!

Since weight is not a factor, I'd go for it.

Thanks,
Clark

BrowningGuy88

The other option I am looking at is a BPS Stalker 26" the LGS has for $600 plus tax. It is the 3" chamber and I would like to have a 3.5 I think although I have never had any trouble killing predators with 3" #4 buck or turkeys with even a 20.

Down to the 935 Waterfowl 26" or the BPS Stalker 26" which would you choose? The weight is close to the same and the BPS feels much more well built.

Daman

davisd9

935, great patterns and great gun!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Daman on January 14, 2013, 05:35:24 PM
The other option I am looking at is a BPS Stalker 26" the LGS has for $600 plus tax. It is the 3" chamber and I would like to have a 3.5 I think although I have never had any trouble killing predators with 3" #4 buck or turkeys with even a 20.

Down to the 935 Waterfowl 26" or the BPS Stalker 26" which would you choose? The weight is close to the same and the BPS feels much more well built.

Daman

They are very different guns, with as you noted a different feel. I have a 3" and 3.5" BPS, one black the other camo. They also feel different from each other to me.

The receiver of the BPS is closed and does not allow debris to get in as easily and it loads/ejects from the bottom, so it's good for right or left hand shooters. When it does get wet inside, it's a little more difficult to dry out and Browning now recommends that you not remove the bolt from the gun. It can be a bear to get everything back together on one.

It is a proven design and I've shot one since shortly after they were introduced. I've never had a problem with one except for what I mentioned above when one was soaked on a turkey hunt and I had to take it all down to get water and debris out of it.

All the newer ones have the Invector+ bores and Browning is well known for the quality of their barrels.

To me it would depend on the kind of action you'd like and which feels better.

Thanks,
Clark

SumToy

935 and 675 choke with HV13 or Fed FCW = fun, fun, fun  :z-winnersmiley:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BrowningGuy88

Thanks guys!

I think the next time I am in town I will put that 935 on layaway.

3Toes

Hey Daman,
  I have a 935 set up for turkeys and after working the trigger and polishing the barrel, I could not ask for a better gun. It will cycle 2.75 as well as it does 3.5, no jamming or feed problems. I installed a .670 Pure Gold tube and shoot the Heavy13 #6 shot and it produces great patterns. I agree with Clarke on the weight issue, but shouldering a cannon with complete confidence is worth the trade off to me. I hunt a lot of hills here in North Alabama in open timber, and that is the perfect gun for me. I don't think you could go wrong.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: 3Toes on January 15, 2013, 11:36:51 AM
Hey Daman,
  I have a 935 set up for turkeys and after working the trigger and polishing the barrel, I could not ask for a better gun. It will cycle 2.75 as well as it does 3.5, no jamming or feed problems. I installed a .670 Pure Gold tube and shoot the Heavy13 #6 shot and it produces great patterns. I agree with Clarke on the weight issue, but shouldering a cannon with complete confidence is worth the trade off to me. I hunt a lot of hills here in North Alabama in open timber, and that is the perfect gun for me. I don't think you could go wrong.

I hunt mostly pine plantation and river swamp in south Alabama, but hunt a few times each season at Cahaba WMA and Oakmulgee WMA.

BrowningGuy88

Put the 935 on layaway this morning! I actually think I got lucky cause it is a 24" barrel (25" with choke) with an Ulti-Full choke in it. All black turkey model.

Think once I get it out of layaway, I am going to order a SumToy and roll with some 3.5/2.25/6's. I believe this one is going to get a FFIII also eventually.

Can't wait to get it!

allaboutshooting

Congratulations. I know you'll enjoy that new gun.

Thanks,
Clark

3Toes

That is interesting. I live about 15 minutes from the Cahaba. I hunt in extreme North Alabama most of the time and have enjoyed shooting the 935. I have several other guns but this one is by far my favorite. Have fun with it, season is right around the corner.