OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Benelli Supernova have to be drilled and tapped?

Started by hybridtom, January 13, 2013, 03:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hybridtom

I have a Benelli Supernova in APG.  The receiver looks as if there are 2 places to mount a weaver style mount.  Am I wrong? I bought a weaver 93a (48506)

Siwash

I am in the same boat... I am looking forward to the responses here...

SumToy

We have drilled and tapped them.  Just need a longer screw.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

hybridtom

I called Benelli and they said that the Supernovas are already drilled and tapped. He also said that I needed a Weaver 93a mount.  So we shall see how this goes.

SgtUSMC

DO NOT BUY the 93a!!  I did the same thing and the holes match up, but the screws are definitely too short.  Benelli recommended the 93a, but Weaver says the 423m is for the Supernova.  I talked to them, and supposedely tons of people bought the 93a because Benelli tells them too, only to have to call Weaver and get the 423m.

Same hole pattern, same mounts, just different screws.  The screws that come with the 93a are not long enough. 

PS.  I am going throught this right now.  Waiting on my 423m to come in the mail.
Check out the chart below.  Even Weaver has it posted wrong, because the "Nova" ins't drilled and tapped, so its confusing all around.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx

hybridtom

It turns out that the Supernovas are drilled tapped.  There were plastic plugs inside the holes on top of the receiver.  I took the gun apart and pressed out the plugs from the inside. I just went to Lowes and got some screws that were longer and installed it.  They worked perfect.  I installed the Nikon and it looks sweet.  Just waiting on a Saturday when I can go sight it in.  I believe they were m4 x .70 screws. I think i got the 8mm length ones.  They aren't black but hey, they work. I did alot of research before I got the 93a mount. I looked at several different resources to make sure that I purchased the right mount because the Supernova is not listed on Weaver's website.  From what I understand the 423m is not the correct mount for a Supernova but it is for the Nova. I read some reviews on Basspro shops website and Amazon I believe and guys were complaining.  I hope that it works out for you either way bud.

SgtUSMC

I'm gonna have to grab some of those screws and see if they'll fit mine. 

Weaver assured me that the 423m will fit, and acknowledged they misprinted their website. 

One thing for certaini is that the Novas do not come drilled and tapped from the factory.  That and the stock are pretty much the difference between a nova and the Super Nova. 

totallycluckedup

the 423M will fit with modification.  The screws are long enough, but I had to hack saw off the last section of picatinny so the rail would lay flat.  It extends back too far.  If you notice the little channel it sits in.  Look at the rear where that channels comes down to a point and ends.  The 423M wants to come back just a hair past that making the rail sit on top of where it comes together, leaving it not flat.  I just used the last groove of picatinny as a guide and took the hack saw to it.  Then I just used some Matte Black paint I had to touch it up so you don't notice

hybridtom

So it seems that Weaver has two mounts that will work, but neither without some modification. So it is one's choice as to which one to use.

Thanks totallycluckedup for helping us Benelli pump owners figure this out.  I have the same gun as you. Is that an EOTech on your setup?