Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Friday Devotional 01/11/13 "What's Stopping You?"

Started by BOFF, January 10, 2013, 11:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Just reading in Acts this week and had something impressed upon me as I was reading Acts chapter 4 and Chapter 5. For space, we will use some of the verses, but for a better understanding, please read the complete chapters.

Acts 4:1-3; 18-21 (NIV1984)

Peter and John Before the Sanhedrin

4 The priests and the captain of the temple guard and the Sadducees came up to Peter and John while they were speaking to the people. 2 They were greatly disturbed because the apostles were teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead. 3 They seized Peter and John, and because it was evening, they put them in jail until the next day.

18 Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John replied, "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. 20 For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard."

21 After further threats they let them go.

Acts 5:17-18; 27-29; 33; 40-42 (NIV1984)

The Apostles Persecuted

17 Then the high priest and all his associates, who were members of the party of the Sadducees, were filled with jealousy. 18 They arrested the apostles and put them in the public jail.

27 Having brought the apostles, they made them appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28 "We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name," he said. "Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man's blood."

29 Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men!

33 When they heard this, they were furious and wanted to put them to death.

40 His speech persuaded them. They called the apostles in and had them flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

41 The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. 42 Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.

WOW!!

All the jail time, harassment, flogging, threats and questions, and the apostles still, day after day, proclaimed the good news of Christ!!! When I read those verses I had to wonder why it is so often, we are reluctant to speak the name Jesus. We are not jailed, flogged or threatened if we do so.

I came up with pride, and selfishness. What is your excuse?

Heavenly Father,

Forgive me of my pride and selfishness. Thank you for the example of the apostles, and  showing us how You will speak through us with the Holy Spirit, when it comes to proclaiming Your name. Let us not fret or worry of the words we will say, or of the responses or actions shown to us from others. Give us peace, assurance, and the opportunities to share Your good news to non believers. May we not stop, regardless of the situations. To You be the glory and honor.

For it is in Jesus name we ask and claim these things, Amen!! 

God Bless,
David B.

misfire

Thank you David. I pray that God will give me the strength and character to tell others about Him whenever possible, through action and word
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Duke0002