OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester SX3

Started by camodawg, January 10, 2013, 08:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camodawg

I just bought a new winchester sx3. Its the black stock with the grey reciever and barrel 3 1/2" gun, 28" barrel.
I've been reading on here for a while and I see a lot of guys likeing the .665 tubes and some say you need the .675 tubes. I'm planning on shooting either Hevy shot mag-blends or hevy shot straight 6's in 3 1/2". I've been shooting an 870 super-mag with these shells and a .660 jellyhead with great results.
What kind of patterns are yall getting with this set-up? I'm not really to into the #7's.
Thanks,

SumToy

SumToy 675 to 680.  IC 665 to 670
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

fowlfan

I also shoot an SX3 and really like the gun. I shoot HeviShot Hevi-13 #6 at the Toms and have patterned that round using both the factory choke tube and a HeviShot turkey choke tube. The Hevi turkey tube patterns way better than the factory Invector tube. If you think that you may have a hard time getting the birds close, try the HeviShot turkey choke. It is well worth the money.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: fowlfan on January 12, 2013, 02:05:54 AM
I also shoot an SX3 and really like the gun. I shoot HeviShot Hevi-13 #6 at the Toms and have patterned that round using both the factory choke tube and a HeviShot turkey choke tube. The Hevi turkey tube patterns way better than the factory Invector tube. If you think that you may have a hard time getting the birds close, try the HeviShot turkey choke. It is well worth the money.

I'd second that! I have a 3" SX3 with 28" barrel black/gray and have used it for clays, upland birds, watefowl and of course turkeys. It's a great gun and the H-13 choke and H-13 shells are an excellent combination.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

camodawg

There was a post where you refered to the ssx choke. I looked it up and its like a .646 restriction. For all around turkey hunting between the IC 675, Sumtoy .680, Hevi, or SSX. Do they all put up comparable numbers? There is a big difference in the restrictions but I know a big factor is the internal design of the choke.
Thanks,

allaboutshooting

Quote from: camodawg on January 12, 2013, 10:56:57 AM
There was a post where you refered to the ssx choke. I looked it up and its like a .646 restriction. For all around turkey hunting between the IC 675, Sumtoy .680, Hevi, or SSX. Do they all put up comparable numbers? There is a big difference in the restrictions but I know a big factor is the internal design of the choke.
Thanks,

Yes, you are correct that it's more about the total internal geometry and not just the exit diameter of the choke tube. That's why chokes with sometimes vastly different exit diameters will shoot similar patterns.

I shoot and evaluate, as far as I know, all the commercially available turkey chokes and some custom made models, through a large battery of makes and models of guns with, in many cases, all of the barrel lengths available.

When shooting various commercially made chokes, I shoot the ones that are widely available, advertised and not any custom-made exit diameters. I shoot "off the shelf" chokes.

The SSX has an e.d. of .643 and was designed by Roger Burrell who set the existing world record with that choke and Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells. He's also a multi-time world champion and a serious turkey hunter. That e.d. sounds very tight and it is, in most choke designs it might not work at all but in the SSX it does due to what's inside it.

I should add that the Browning/Winchester Invector+ turkey choke, the Full Strut Turkey Choke, has an e.d. of .640.

The Hevi-13 choke also works very well with an e.d. of .664 because of what's inside it. A JEB's .660 also works very well, again because of what's inside it. The Pure Gold with an e.d. of .670 also works very well because of its internals.

You get the idea. It's really all about how the maker designs its chokes that helps to determine the patterns it throws.

Then of course we could start talking about ammo....

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."