turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

a work in progress

Started by Rev579, January 08, 2013, 10:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev579

I am new to the board and new to turkey hunting. I am in the process of building a turkey gun. My platform is an older Rem 1100 Mag 12g. It currently has a 30" barrel on it, fixed FC. I think I want to get it dipped, but want to make sure I have the barrel I am going to hunt with before doing so.

I'm also looking at what to do about the stock. The forearm is cracked and the stock is a bit rough, so I find myself looking at the synthetic stocks. Standard or Shurshot seems to be the question.

Next, the idea of optics. Sights or Scope(Reflex, Red-dot, Holographic, Standard)? Plenty of people here clearly love the FFII & III($$). Then there is EOTech($$$). On the lower end, there seems to be mixed bag on the Truglo front.

I'd prefer not to tap the receiver, opting instead for B-squared saddle mount.

Finally, knowing full well that what I shoot is determined by the barrel and choke, what are the options here? I've noticed a number of folks sharing their turkey gun configuration with a barrel much shorter than a 30" barrel. Some understanding here would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Dave
<º))))>< (_(_(_) ><((((º>
Greatest Day Fishing-Ever
Remington 1100 .410, 20g, 20g Mag, 12g
Building a Remington 1100 12g Mag up for Turkey

dirt road ninja

:welcomeOG:

Rev, for what it sounds like your fixing to spend, you may consider purchasing a gun that is already set up. I don't think you will ever be able to recoup your investment on the current project if you decide turkey hunting is not for you.

As far as the barrel length goes, that's a tricky question and everybody has different opinions. In my opinion the shorter tube is a little more maneuverable, but a little more trouble to pattern. I like 24 - 26 on a 12 gauge for turkey, but lots of guys roll them with 20 inch tubes. Others swear by 26 inch plus barrels. They all kill and will all shoot well. It just depends on how much time and money you would like to put into it.
No matter what you decide, I'd recommend Hevi 13's in 6 or 7 shot or the Winchester XR 6's. I shoot 7 shot out of everything. Good luck!

davisd9

If you want a shorter barrel with the option of adding an aftermarket choke you could purchase one or send the barrel to William at SumToy and he can cut the barrel down to the length you want and then add the threads for aftermarket chokes, SumToy can help you with the choke as well if you would like.  I recommend a 24" or 26" barrel.  It will produce great patterns and will not be a burden in the woods.  Some people like shorter barrels.  I have a 24" on my 835 and a 26" on my 11-87 20 gauge.  Both are easy to use in hunting situations. 

On my 835 I have a Simmons Pro-Diamond Scope that I love.  I hunt ag fields and the scope works for me.  Some love them and some hate them.  I just put a TruGlo Red Dot on my 11-87 but have yet to shoot it yet.  Just depends on your liking. 

I would get a synthetic stock.  You can find them on ebay for very reasonable.  Good luck and keep us up to date.

Agree that you can pick up a Mossberg 500 or 835 brand new, paid $350 for mine out the store, for what you are looking to spend in fixing that one
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Rev579 on January 08, 2013, 10:17:59 AM
I am new to the board and new to turkey hunting. I am in the process of building a turkey gun. My platform is an older Rem 1100 Mag 12g. It currently has a 30" barrel on it, fixed FC. I think I want to get it dipped, but want to make sure I have the barrel I am going to hunt with before doing so.

I'm also looking at what to do about the stock. The forearm is cracked and the stock is a bit rough, so I find myself looking at the synthetic stocks. Standard or Shurshot seems to be the question.

Next, the idea of optics. Sights or Scope(Reflex, Red-dot, Holographic, Standard)? Plenty of people here clearly love the FFII & III($$). Then there is EOTech($$$). On the lower end, there seems to be mixed bag on the Truglo front.

I'd prefer not to tap the receiver, opting instead for B-squared saddle mount.

Finally, knowing full well that what I shoot is determined by the barrel and choke, what are the options here? I've noticed a number of folks sharing their turkey gun configuration with a barrel much shorter than a 30" barrel. Some understanding here would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Dave

First of all your 1100 is a fine gun and was Remington's state of the art at the time it was made. Most had 2.75" chambers but some of the later guns had 3" chambers, as it sounds like yours has.

As has been said however, you could easily spend a lot of money on your 1100 and possibly still not have a gun that would be what you wanted or one that will really meet your needs.

I'd recommend that you consider purchasing a Remington 870 Express. It's a great gun, very reliable and will last a lifetime, or more, if maintained in any reasonable manner. The barrel is already threaded for chokes and there are many that you can choose from, in all price ranges, that will do the job for you.

I'd recommend that you purchase an 870 with a 26" barrel. I'd get the "plain Jane" model. You can always customize it later when you decide exactly what you want. Frankly, the dull wood and matte finish on the metal works just as well in the turkey woods as any camo.

I would not recommend any of the "saddle" type mounts for your gun. Some people find that they work just fine but others find them to be a problem. If too loosely mounted they can move and if too tight they can bind the action.

I'd recommend that you purchase  the Truglo Pro-Series Open sights. They are fully adjustable for windage and elevation, have fiber optic inserts so they show up very well in low light as well as bright daylight. They mount securely to the barrel, so you never have to worry about the barrel/receiver relationship of them and can easily be removed if you want to use the gun for another purpose. Your gun takes the TG944A model. (If you decide to mount another type of sight later, it's easy to get your 870 drilled and tapped.)

Shells are a pretty easy choice and are one of the most important decisions that you can make. I recommend the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. They are expensive but you'll save a lot by just purchasing the 870 Express and they are still the least expensive part of hunting turkeys for most of us.

I've have shot a lot of different turkey chokes over the years, through many different guns, both in the turkey woods and in still target competition. There are several that are very good. Many have different designs and price ranges. The designer decides what he wants to produce and how it looks inside and out.

A standard for years has been the Pure Gold and it's an excellent choke tube. JEB's introduced their chokes a few years ago, they are finely made and throw excellent patterns. The Wright's turkey choke has been around for many years and has a loyal following. I've been shooting the SSX since 2004 and it's also a great turkey choke and very popular.

There are also other brands that have a strong following and I'm sure you'll hear from many folks who shoot them and like them a lot. It's not necessarily an easy choice and the good news is that most of them work quite well.

Lastly, whatever you do or whatever choke you choose, I'd urge you to deep clean the bore of your gun. That procedure can not harm the bore in any way and helps to remove the gunk that's present even in new barrels and that has built up over the years in older ones.

Best of luck to you this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Rev579

Great stuff here! Thanks for the info thus far. I guess the bigger question is whether or not I need to get a shorter barrel or cut the one I have and have it fitted for chokes. 
30" as is, or a 26" with chokes.

I think I'm leaning towards a FFII or FFIII. However, a speedbead looks pretty versitle, is it?  I still can't bring myself to tap the receiver, so the speedbead looks good if the b-squared saddle isn't a good solution. I haven't heard anything bad about the b-squared saddles. I don't know much about the red-dot setups at all.

I don't have much interest in buying another gun, even the less-expensive 870. I can always do a spandex wrap of the barrel & receiver, get the aftermarket synthetic furniture in a camo pattern, and be set with simply adding the speedbead.

I'd prefer not to try something for a year, then decide I threw good money after short-sided decisions. I'm already in the 1100 for a couple of dollars, with purchase being specifically for Turkey and geese. I thought a long barrel was preferred...

I've got some in the budget to drop on optics.
I'm okay with spending some $$ on a dip as it also protect the gun.
The biggie is barrel... I might be able to justify a short barrel, with 2 chokes, I don't know.

SumToy

You can cut the barrel for 35.  Then cut the cone for 35.  Then get a choke from Me, IC or a Jelly Head.   Then just go have some fun patterning the gun and killing birds.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

dirt road ninja

Quote from: SumToy on January 08, 2013, 08:15:28 PM

You can cut the barrel for 35.  Then cut the cone for 35.  Then get a choke from Me, IC or a Jelly Head.   Then just go have some fun patterning the gun and killing birds.

That sounds like a plan.

Rev579

I sent my barrel off to SumToy!!
:z-winnersmiley:

whiskey

Good choice. I really like having a pistol grip stock on a turkey gun. I'd say take a look at those if you are going to replace the furniture.