OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: OG, question?  (Read 8451 times)

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
OG, question?
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
I remember having four or five new teams last year that didn't have very much participation. Instead of making more new teams could we possibly expand teams up to 14 members. There are some existing teams that probably wouldnt mind taking a few. Especially the teams like us and roaring 20s that have a specific theme.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:11:11 PM by savduck »
Georgia Boy

Offline gophert

• Longbeard
  • Middle TN
Re: OG, question?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
I would love to get on the roaring 20's since that's all I have to hunt with this year...my past 2 teams have had minimal participants and we never had a chance.

Tim

sent from my Tweaked Out Evo LTE

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
gohert, I think roaring 20s is looking for a few new guys. go on the 20 gauge gun section. there is a post there asking for members.
Georgia Boy

Offline gophert

• Longbeard
  • Middle TN
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »
Thanks for the heads up

sent from my Tweaked Out Evo LTE

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
I am , and have always been in favor of 20- 30 member size  teams - every year we do a poll , and every year we get complains that the captains get stuck doing to much work because of the size of the teams being too big - And then we get constant requests when the season is about to get underway to add more members , or replace deadbeats  - 12 seems to be what people like by popularity , me personally ,I favor bigger size teams -

We talked about a draft some years ago to allow captains to pick out team mates from the random list , this looked to be time consuming and problematic- but..... nothing stopping a captain from PMing a member who is in the random list and asking them to join their team , then have them edit out their post to say they have found a team - this is perfectly fine - pick your members carefully ....

We get about 15- 20 teams each year, its a great way to meet new friends - come Feb, and then again March we will get more teams as the site starts to pick up in serious traffic -- We added the new " individual " contest this year , no registration required , hardly any rules to break - If you can operate a camera or phone camera - your in !!  some of these people may opt to play in the individual contest , instead of the team contest - we will see

Probably all of the Team contest people will monitor the Individual contest and register that as they shoot something very nice - should be fun !   

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
I am not against having 15, but do not think I would like it any larger.  It has been a great way to meet people and build relationships but I would like to keep it small enough to keep it personal.  Get too big and I just feel that it would not have as much camaraderie, but that is just my opinion.  I would have to make sure with my co-captain but I do not think us Spur Collectors would be against adding two or three members.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 09:56:53 PM »
I am not against having 15, but do not think I would like it any larger.  It has been a great way to meet people and build relationships but I would like to keep it small enough to keep it personal.  Get too big and I just feel that it would not have as much camaraderie, but that is just my opinion.  I would have to make sure with my co-captain but I do not think us Spur Collectors would be against adding two or three members.
I agree I like the smaller teams because its easier to keep up with each other. Plus the team captains put in a lot of work. I wouldnt want to make it any harder on them than it has to be. Has anyone thought about having a cocaptain? It would be easier on the captains and we could add 2-3 more members to each team. But as it stand I have no complaints.Thanks to oldgobbler and all the team captains who make this contest possible.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:41 PM »
I agree I like the smaller teams because its easier to keep up with each other. Plus the team captains put in a lot of work. I wouldnt want to make it any harder on them than it has to be. Has anyone thought about having a cocaptain? It would be easier on the captains and we could add 2-3 more members to each team. But as it stand I have no complaints.Thanks to oldgobbler and all the team captains who make this contest possible.

We Spur Collectors have co-captains.  That way it is not one person making decisions.  JVA54 and myself are the captains.  Any time we add someone or do something that would affect the team we decide together.  That way no one can say that one of us is just doing what we want or just putting our personal friends on the team.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:44 PM »
Having a co captain is always a good idea -

-Shannon

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:10:41 AM »
I remember having four or five new teams last year that didn't have very much participation. Instead of making more new teams could we possibly expand teams up to 14 members. There are some existing teams that probably wouldnt mind taking a few. Especially the teams like us and roaring 20s that have a specific theme.

I agree. To me, as a captain it would be much easier to have 2 or 3 guys added to the team than to keep up with 20 teams.
Our team runs easy though, we have always used the co-captain method and we don't have deadbeats, everybody participates in full, so it kinda' runs itself when you're all on the same page.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 07:18:21 AM »

I agree. To me, as a captain it would be much easier to have 2 or 3 guys added to the team than to keep up with 20 teams.
Our team runs easy though, we have always used the co-captain method and we don't have deadbeats, everybody participates in full, so it kinda' runs itself when you're all on the same page.

Agreed! JVA54 and I are blessed with a great group of guys that really enjoy the contest.  Everything goes my smooth.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »
I have noticed that its hit or miss with the late teams , In the past I have put together teams in late March that had some good participation - then we have had teams with next to zero participation -

The Captains can prowl the random registration for good posters to fill out their ranks

Like mentioned , If I were a captain I would grab up a few co captains , record keepers and the like and    get all contact info from your members and keep in touch with them --Shannon

-Shannon

Offline Jay

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Iowa Hawkeye
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »
12 is what we decided on which is fine for this year. If next year we decide to go bigger, 15 it's about all I'd like to see. It get's to be a lot of work the bigger you get making sure everyone is getting their birds scored, and following the rules.

Offline doublegobble

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Harvey, Iowa
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
Jay, you can't count to 15 let alone try to keep track of them.  ;D
Red meat isn't bad for you, fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Offline ncturkey

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Go hunting and Fishing
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »
I am just glad to be on a team. Thanks Jay for being a great team captain.