Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 24" barrel with Star Dot, Jellyhead or Kicks .685?

Started by mattbrooks, January 04, 2013, 11:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattbrooks

I'm new here and just started seeing where everyone is talking good about the Star Dot choke for the 835. I was wondering if I could get some info about which shot I should try with my set up. I have a 835 with 24" barrel and a Star Dot choke I bought a long time ago. I have only shot lead shot before and was wondering what the best combo would be to try in my gun. I also have a Jellyhead choke that I killed my first bird with last year with Winchester Supreme 3.5 #4s. It was an ok pattern but nothing special. I bought a Kicks .685 after the season ended and planned on trying something with it too. I would like any suggestions so I wouldn't need a bank loan to pay for different ammo trying everything out.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mattbrooks on January 04, 2013, 11:53:02 AM
I'm new here and just started seeing where everyone is talking good about the Star Dot choke for the 835. I was wondering if I could get some info about which shot I should try with my set up. I have a 835 with 24" barrel and a Star Dot choke I bought a long time ago. I have only shot lead shot before and was wondering what the best combo would be to try in my gun. I also have a Jellyhead choke that I killed my first bird with last year with Winchester Supreme 3.5 #4s. It was an ok pattern but nothing special. I bought a Kicks .685 after the season ended and planned on trying something with it too. I would like any suggestions so I wouldn't need a bank loan to pay for different ammo trying everything out.

First of all, welcome to OG. It's good to see you here and we look forward to hearing more from you. A lot of people have good luck with the Star Dot chokes and 835s. The 835 can be one of the best patterning guns. I'd encourage you to deep clean the barrel. I published the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" which outlines that procedure, initially specifically for 835 shooters. It does help all guns of course.

The best and most consistent performing shotshells on the market today are the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. The 3" shell is a top performer and will do everything that needs to be done to allow you to cleanly kill turkeys at ranges up to 40 yards. The 3" shell has less recoil and will allow you to get back on target more quickly, should you need or want a second or follow-up shot for any reason.

If however you want to shoot 3.5" shells, they are also available from Hevi-Shot.

I think that you'll find that smaller shot, like #6 will pattern much more evenly than the #4 shot you were using. It's really the total energy at the target, turkey's head/neck in this case, that counts. When you throw a swarm of pellets that strike the target, they impart a lot of energy. That swarm is also beneficial because it will normally be more even and give less opportunity for a turkey to escape, should your aim be off just a bit, or should the turkey move just as you shoot.

I would try your deep cleaned bore and some new shells with the chokes that you have prior to investing in any new choke tube. You may find that what you have works just fine and gives you the patterns that you want. There are some chokes that I might recommend if you did not have one but since you do, I'd recommend that you go with what you have.

Good luck this spring.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. To read the article, just click on the banner below this post.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

dirt road ninja

:welcomeOG:

I've got the same set up with a Stardot and a JH. These numbers all all from memory, so they might not be exact, but they are very close. I will pull the targets this weekend and make sure.

Stardot

Hevi-13 2.25oz #7's - 275
Mag blends 2.25oz - 205

Been forever since I shot the JH, but it was a solid choke with the Hevi 6's. I also have a IC .675 and it beats the Stardot with every load, but the 7's.

davisd9

I shot a 24" barrel 835.  I shot a Star Dot with Hevi13 2.25 oz 3.5" 6s.  Been happy with the setup, no turkeys have complained about it.  I average 200 -215 in the 10" at 40 yards.  Pretty, even pattern.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mattbrooks

I'll try some HeviShot with the StarDot & see what it'll do. I'll definitely have to deep clean my barrel. I just checked it and it's NASTY!

SumToy

The star dot should put you in the ball park of 290 to 300 with the 31/2-21/4-7's.  Now be VERY careful on the Cleaning/Polishing.   

Now the SumToy, IC, PG and Star dot will give you patterns that will bump the 300 mark.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mattbrooks

What should I be careful about on cleaning/polishing? I'm new to all of this.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

No problem.  I followed that step for step the first time I cleaned my 835.  Now I do a shorter version of it when I clean it.  My 835 shoots a great and even pattern with a clean barrel and up to 3 or 4 shots.  After that my numbers actually go up but my pattern because very uneven with big holes.  Not sure if this just happens with mine or with others.  Good luck!

Thomas6689

If you decide against the star dot i would be interested in buying it if u want to sell it

mattbrooks

Quote from: Thomas6689 on January 07, 2013, 09:12:16 PM
If you decide against the star dot i would be interested in buying it if u want to sell it
I'm going to try a few loads through it & if I'm not impressed I'll give you first dibs.

Thomas6689

ok thanks just send me a pm if u decide to sell it.

TrackeySauresRex

:welcomeOG:
I do not have a star dot.
I do have an 835 w/24" barel. In the past I've used a Kicks 680 and did real well with Win.Sup hv #5's & #6's. The red, Mag #6's did great too. Then I joined the hevi craze. Now, I use the J.H 690. with the M.B. 5,6,7s.   She shoots great.
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

mightyjoeyoung

I have 3 835's and have owned 7.  My current, dedicated turkey gun wears a super cleaned, then pollished then super clead 24" ported pipe.  I have literally tried about every choke on the market for the 835...some have worked and worked well, some have been total junk.  For lead, you just can't go wrong with the Winchester Supreme/XX or the Older Federal 6's if you plan on keeping your shots at ethical ranges.  They'll kill any bird that walks to 40 yards and a pinch farther and give you the best pellet count to boot.  If you plan on shooting Hevi Shot or any of its dirivitives, 2 or 2.25 ounces of 6's or 7's will do the same thing but will generally provide you with a much denser pattern and a bit more "fudge range" should you make a misjudgement in distance. I have shot the Pure Gold .670 with excellent results, the Tru Glo .670 SSX with rediculously tight patterns from straight hevi shot and Mag Blends and last spring the same gun put up insane numbers with the most beautiful, even hunting pattern I have ever seen, shooting 3.5", 2.25 ounce, Hevi Shot 7's through the new Tru Glo .670 Bone Collector choke and it even gave me great Fed and Win lead #6 and Federal Heavy Weight #7 numbers too!  The best part is that the choke cost less than half of what some of the other "high end" chokes run. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.