turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My two slayers

Started by Onpoint, January 03, 2013, 07:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

Just got the shurshot stock in the mail today and on my old 870 sp. Now just waitin on the 336 base so I can try out the ff3. Then it'll be off to find the magic choke. I'm wantin to shoot the hevi-13 7's if I can get em to pattern. Not lookin for the tightest pattern in the world cuz a lot of my shots are 20-25 yards but at the same time I do hunt out of state public land a lot and if I have a stubborn bird hang up at 45 I wanna bring him home. With the lil short barreled 870 in the pic I've got the 665 jelly head and it truly is a good 45 yard gun but I've passed it on to my fiancée. Also I haven't been able to get hevishot to pattern out if it tried a couple loads last year, can't remember which ones, but it throws a mean pattern of Winchester hv #5's. Never had a bit of problems with this setup. But like i said I'd like to try the hevi 7's or heavyweight 7's in this other setup. I'm thinking maybe pure gold .670.. What y'all think???

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 19onpoint85 on January 03, 2013, 07:02:23 PM
Just got the shurshot stock in the mail today and on my old 870 sp. Now just waitin on the 336 base so I can try out the ff3. Then it'll be off to find the magic choke. I'm wantin to shoot the hevi-13 7's if I can get em to pattern. Not lookin for the tightest pattern in the world cuz a lot of my shots are 20-25 yards but at the same time I do hunt out of state public land a lot and if I have a stubborn bird hang up at 45 I wanna bring him home. With the lil short barreled 870 in the pic I've got the 665 jelly head and it truly is a good 45 yard gun but I've passed it on to my fiancée. Also I haven't been able to get hevishot to pattern out if it tried a couple loads last year, can't remember which ones, but it throws a mean pattern of Winchester hv #5's. Never had a bit of problems with this setup. But like i said I'd like to try the hevi 7's or heavyweight 7's in this other setup. I'm thinking maybe pure gold .670.. What y'all think???

You have good looking guns and lots of choices for chokes. I would go with the Hevi-13 shells if you're looking for good patterns with #7 shot.

I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bores of your guns. You can read that procedure by clicking on the banner beneath this post and go to the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel". it can't hurt your bore and will help you maximize your patterns whatever you choose.

Good luck this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Onpoint

That's funny you bring up the deep cleaning thing, I had never heard of it but saw it on here and did it yesterday. Bore is shiny as a mirror except for a few pit marks about an inch out from forcing cone.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 19onpoint85 on January 03, 2013, 09:15:32 PM
That's funny you bring up the deep cleaning thing, I had never heard of it but saw it on here and did it yesterday. Bore is shiny as a mirror except for a few pit marks about an inch out from forcing cone.

I'm glad you gave it a try. It really allows you to get a good look at your bore and it also helps to maximize the performance of your shell/choke combination.

Hundreds of hunters and shooters have used that process over the last few years. Many send me pictures of the "gunk" they get out of what they thought were clean barrels.

Best of luck this spring.

Thanks,
Clark

Onpoint

I wish I hadve took a picture. It was nasty, it looked like used motor oil.

paladin

Good luck in the choke choice. You will love the fastfire.
"have gun-will travel"

Onpoint

Well I've narrowed the choke down to sumtoy or pure gold. I'm leaning toward the sumtoy really hard though.

chatterbox

Quote from: 19onpoint85 on January 04, 2013, 01:32:27 AM
Well I've narrowed the choke down to sumtoy or pure gold. I'm leaning toward the sumtoy really hard though.
I can't speak for the 870, although they are great guns. Now, William at SumToy got me setup with a choke for my 835, and I couldn't be happier.
My point is, I would call William at SumToy and have him build you a choke. He will work with you till you are satisfied. Great guy, and great product.

Onpoint

Well I've decided on the choke. I'm gonna go with a Sumtoy .660.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 19onpoint85 on January 04, 2013, 11:27:41 AM

Best of luck to you. Please let us know how it works for you.

Thanks,
Clark

davisd9

Quote from: 19onpoint85 on January 04, 2013, 11:27:41 AM

That will do it!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captin_hook

Those guns look great! I've never used a sumtoy, but a lot of guys here love em and get great results.

Onpoint

I'm still waitin on the 336 base o come in. It was on back order at midway. When I mount it y'all think it's be better to put it towards the rear of the receiver. I was thinking its e better like that. All the red dots I've had have just been on a weaver rail and I'd move em back n forth til I got it right. Oh by the way I got the sumtoy .660 on the way. William is a super nice guy.

Onpoint

Got the Sumtoy 660 in the mail today.. Haven't had a chance to get any shells, shot a Winchester 3"hv 1.75 oz #6. Got around 100 in the ten and 27 in the head and neck at 40 yards. I'm gonna try hevishot 7's, and Winchester xx 3-2-6 lead. I kno that the hevishot will probably pattern better but if the lead loads will pattern good im gonna shoot them. Might keep a cpl hevishot  in my vest if I'm gonna set up on a field or somethin where a long shot is possible.

chatterbox

Justin,

Glad William hooked you up with that SumToy. He really makes a great product.
Now go kill a truckload of turkeys! :icon_thumright: