turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Planning a trip to DC

Started by sugarray, December 30, 2012, 11:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

We are planning a trip to take the kids for the first time.  Really having trouble figuring out where to stay. 

Any recs on a good hotel/motel?  We would like to be down town to be able to walk, but man, pricey!!

Also, is it better to stay out and ride the metro every where?  Seems like paying for the metro will be the same as paying more to stay down town.

Any help appreciated.

Old Gobbler

Make sure to coordinate the timing at a good time,  I have friend who went with her family and there happened to be a " Gay Pride" march on the Hill that week... .last thing your family needs is to be caught up  in some million man march or something to that effect
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

wisconsinteacher

I went with my school this past summer.  I don't know where we stayed so that does not help you but it is a very nice city.  Easy to get around and I felt safe while there.  Enjoy your time and make sure you go to Arlington.

sugarray

We have contacted our congresswoman to try to help set up a White House tour.  My son really wanted to see our state capital, so based on his talking, we think he will love it.  Then our list is Arlington and tomb of unknown soldier, Lincoln, Washington, smithsonian, and zoo.  Only planning 3-4 days.  More research today and staying outside city likely best.  Parking at the hotel is about $30 a day.

Spring Creek Calls

I enjoyed all the places you mentioned, but my favorite was Mount Vernon.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

CMBOSTC

I live 30miles from DC in MD. Hotels are about $200 a night in DC. I would recommend staying in VA or MD near one of metro lines. That will save you some in hotel fees and parking. Arlington is a must see! If you need help give me a call at 910-391-0222.

Chris

Thebody

I also live about 30 minutes outside of DC.  Most hotels in the city are pretty high.  I would recommend staying in Alexandria, VA or maybe Bethesda, MD.  I have stayed in hotels around there for soccer tournaments for a lot less than city rates.  Taking the Metro can be an experience and for off peak hours I believe it's about $9 each, which will get you anywhere you want to go.  Still save money staying outside the city. 

It would take weeks to really see everything, but the DC tour buses are actually a pretty good deal for a day tour of DC.   
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

CMBOSTC

Just watch out for the crazies... metro and DC!

Fords theater is another must see. Bring comfortable walking shoes for sure.

wisconsinteacher

Go to the Lincoln Memorial at dusk and you can see the eternal flame.  You could spend days at the Smithsonian.  Go see the Dec of Ind.  the Vietnam Memorial is worth going to. 

agturkey

Sheraton Crystal City
1800 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, VA 22202
703-486-1111

I have taken hundreds of students to DC let me know how I can help.
Send me pm I will send you my phone.

agturkey

Roosevelt!!!!!! A absolute must! 
Ill talk to you soon I hope to help you.

Thebody

Come during turkey season and we can go to my lease near Ocean City.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

sugarray

Thanks for the great info.  Looks like we'll be staying out away, but rooms plus metro look to be pretty near to just staying in the city.  If parking wasn't so much, staying in the city would be a no brainer for us this trip.  Our kids are young, 8 and 6, so walking might get to be a problem.  We are looking at the bus tours, but haven't decided yet.  Waiting on our congresswoman to hopefully get us a tour of the White House and can't book a hotel until we hear from her.

chcltlabz

Crystal City is a very nice area to stay.  Plenty of easy and not too expensive food, not much crime and not far from anything.  Not much to see but beltway bandits there, but you don't need much to see from your hotel.

Sounds like you've already got your 3-4 days filled up, but if you're around for a longer stay, take a trip up to see Antietam or Gettysburg.  Very humbling places.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Hevi-5

Hey Sugarray,

Our family went this past summer.  I have one little one that was 7 and one 9.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn on 550 C Street.  We were within walking distance of a Metro Station and near the Smithsonian and the monuments.  The kids really enjoyed the Bureau of Printing and Engraving - watched them making money.  They do a tour about twice an hour.  I didn't see many places to eat.  I guess since we were in a mainly business area, most eating places closed early.  But Holiday inn had a nice restaurant.  I never really had a desire to go, but I'm glad we went.