Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Please Welcome ...

Started by davisd9, December 16, 2012, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

The newest member to the Spur Collectors, mbears159. He was recommended to join the team by CJ Stahly and we are glad to have him. Please everyone give him a big welcome!

Welcome to the team Matt and if you need any help putting the banner on your signature than let us know and we will be glad to help.

Please tell everyone a little about yourself and sigh in at roll call.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

JVA54

Welcome mbears159 glad to have you join our little band of turkey hunting addict's!   :funnyturkey:

:fud: :newmascot:

mbears159

Thanks guys. OG is somewhat new to me. I will try my best to keep up.

Short bio: I was hooked after the first time (last year) a gobbler hammered back. Opening morning, surrounded by birds and he was about 30ish yards away in the thick brush. Don and Chris had two of them on a string. A few more yelps and Don 'boom-dropped' one. The rest is history.

I use an 870 sm 12ga, TruGlo gobble stopper and hevi-shot mag blend. Hunted hard the entire season. Unfortunately I came up short and closed the season with as many tags as I started with. Despite the lack of meat in the freezer, I considered it a successful season. Thanks to Don and Chris I learned alot and am officially addicted.

Needless to say, I have planned to take quite a bit of leave in April (turkey season in SC). We all know that we can't guarantee any results. But I can guarantee I will be in the woods as much as I can.

I aim to be a sponge and absorb any info y'all can share. Please excuse my ignorance if I ask rookie questions. Looking forward to a good season. 105 days and counting.

If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka and have a party.
-Ron White-

davisd9

Glad to have you Matt and we will be giving them SC gobblers heck come April.  Ask all the questions you can.  Wish when I first started I had a group of hunters like this to pick their brain.  This is a team full of turkey slayers and they are all great guys.

Our team members are from New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, Nebraska, Illinois, Louisiana, Indiana, Alabama, and now Florida. 

Glad to have you.  Maybe all the team members will share a tip that they have for the you.

Mine would be to never call to a bird on the limb and to always sit  15 minutes past the time you think it is time to get up.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Quote from: davisd9 on December 17, 2012, 07:31:26 AM
Maybe all the team members will share a tip that they have for the you.

Nothing fills tags faster than cracked corn and a .223!

I'm of course kidding....The best advise I've ever been giving was "you can't kill a turkey, a turkey has to kill himself". Just let it happen.

trkehunr93

Quote from: mbears159 on December 16, 2012, 10:05:36 PM
Thanks guys. OG is somewhat new to me. I will try my best to keep up.

Short bio: I was hooked after the first time (last year) a gobbler hammered back. Opening morning, surrounded by birds and he was about 30ish yards away in the thick brush. Don and Chris had two of them on a string. A few more yelps and Don 'boom-dropped' one. The rest is history.

I use an 870 sm 12ga, TruGlo gobble stopper and hevi-shot mag blend. Hunted hard the entire season. Unfortunately I came up short and closed the season with as many tags as I started with. Despite the lack of meat in the freezer, I considered it a successful season. Thanks to Don and Chris I learned alot and am officially addicted.

Needless to say, I have planned to take quite a bit of leave in April (turkey season in SC). We all know that we can't guarantee any results. But I can guarantee I will be in the woods as much as I can.

I aim to be a sponge and absorb any info y'all can share. Please excuse my ignorance if I ask rookie questions. Looking forward to a good season. 105 days and counting.

Welcome aboard!  That's a successful hunt whether you made the shot or not!  This is the worst bug you can ever be bit by.  Hunt hard and you will be rewarded, all it takes is one stupid two year old bird.  The best piece of advice I can give is scout, scout and scout some more.  Take plenty of mental notes about where you see birds or where you see consistent sign.  Turkey's are creatures of habit and will likely use the same bottom, field or ridge/ridge top on a regular basis.  The turkey will be your gauge on how much to call or not to call, Tom Kelly wrote once about how he would have to throw his call out of reach so he would quit calling to a gobbler.  Silence is deadly.  I could go on and on....if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

M,Yingling

Welcome   :wave:  Glad to have you on team
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Turkeykiller12

Welcome to the TEAM! If I had to share one tip with you it would be to try to be as patient as possible when turkey hunting. If you don't hear much or any gobbling at day break don't just give up and go to the house. Hit the roads on your land and call every now and then, take your time and don't be in a hurry. Take time to SCOUT while walking through the woods and be very attentive to every sound you hear and every thing you see in the woods while turkey hunting. Each hunt is a lesson and there is something to be learned from each lesson. How you apply the lessons learned on each hunt will determine your success. Once again GOOD LUCK and I hope we all have a very successful year in the turkey challenge!!!

C J Stahly

Welcome Matt!  Glad we could get you on the team.  I hope to be back in enough time to give them some heck this spring. 
My best piece of advise is be more patient than I am!!!!  Listen to Don.  He says he doesn't know much, but he has probably forgotten more about turkeys than I know.  Same with a lot of the other guys on here. 

Can't wait to get back and tear up the spring woods with you boys!

davisd9

Quote from: C J Stahly on December 29, 2012, 01:28:05 PM
Welcome Matt!  Glad we could get you on the team.  I hope to be back in enough time to give them some heck this spring. 
My best piece of advise is be more patient than I am!!!!  Listen to Don.  He says he doesn't know much, but he has probably forgotten more about turkeys than I know.  Same with a lot of the other guys on here. 

Can't wait to get back and tear up the spring woods with you boys!

Glad to see you here brother! I was starting to get worried about you cause I have not seen much activity by you on the sites. I am sure you are busy, halibut I am glad to hear from you. Sending that package when I get back home. Take care brother!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

C J Stahly

It has been a while.  Things have been really busy.  It finally got cold and snowed here, which means more things break and subsequently means more work for me.  I should be getting things squared away so hopefully I can jump on here some.