only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DO YALL HUNT INSIDE WOODS WITH DECOYS

Started by GOBBLER CRAZY, December 08, 2012, 02:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOBBLER CRAZY

??? DO YALL HUNT GOBBLERS INSIDE WOODS WITH DECOYS  ?? :newmascot:

dirt road ninja

Sometimes I do, most of the time I don't. When I do it's usually later in the day or nothing is talking. I will sit on them with dekes out and catch up on some sleep, maybe calling a few times an hour.

DMP

I rarely use a decoy whether in the woods or in a field.

Thebody

I am new to turkey hunting, but one on my worst experiences involved a decoy in my second year.  I called in a good bird during a hunt at Eglin AFB in Florida.  I heard several gobblers that morning, all with hens and hard to work, I tried cutting them off, but there is soo much open woods (due to controlled burns) it was real hard to move.  I finally decided to set up and wait for a gobbler to come looking after his hens left him.  I sat up in some palmetto bushes with my back to a small Black Jack Oak. 

I set up a jake decoy over a hen in front of the thicket and called every 20 minutes or so for 2 hours (8-10).  Finally I had called in my first gobbler....75 yards and on a rope.  All I was doing was a couple of clucks and scratching leaves and GOOOOOBBBBLLLE.  He was coming in quick and I was beaded in on my decoys.  As soon as he came around the palmettos and saw the decoy he putted and left.  I wanted to quit!  Heartbroken does no justice to how I felt.  I swore off decoys till last year (2 years after heartbreak) when I was hunting a field.  I had three come running accross the field for the hen decoys. 

My take away is that them things don't like surprises.  Or that gobbler had probably been whipped some and didn't want anymore.  I just don't use them anymore unless all else is failing.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Kylongspur88

Sometimes I put one on a logging road or a flat. If the leaves are thick I don't see a point.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Thebody on December 16, 2012, 06:56:13 PM
...All I was doing was a couple of clucks and scratching leaves and GOOOOOBBBBLLLE.  He was coming in quick and I was beaded in on my decoys.  As soon as he came around the palmettos and saw the decoy he putted and left...

...when I was hunting a field.  I had three come running accross the field for the hen decoys...

My experience has been similar.  The thicker the setup, the more likely the bird will spook at decoys.  I'm not sure why.  So...Fields, yes.  Woods, no.

redleg06

I'll use one in a field sometimes but not in the woods.  Dont see the need in the woods and they are a pain to carry in the thick stuff.

WildTigerTrout

I do NOT use decoys or blinds. I like to hunt those wily longbeards the "old fashioned" way, with woodsmanship and calling ability. I still shoot lead loads too. :o
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

El Pavo Grande

I prefer not to use decoys.  In my opinion, typically the highest percentage of calling one into gun range in the woods is no decoy and force the gobbler to come look for the hen.  I try to set up where the gobbler is in range when he comes into view.  The gobbler usually knows within a few feet of where he heard the calling, so be ready with your gun up.  Use the terrain when possible to increase your odds too.  Choosing the proper set up in he woods can make or break a hunt.

Oconeeguy

Amen. Many times i have had birds come right to me without a decoy. Surprising how they can pinpoint a call.

renegade19

booth

Hooksfan

Decoys, especially the new fancy strutting and gobbler decoys are the most overrated aspect of turkey hunting, period.
Since there are no "nevers" in turkey hunting, I will say that it would be an extremely rare circumstance that would cause me to use a decoy in the woods.
I would guess that sneaking that extra 20 yards (10 yards for me) or so trying to put a decoy results in more spooked turkeys than any other factor, and its totally unnecessary.

booth

Not a decoy fan.  If you set up well there is no need for a decoy in the woods.

TURKEYWHACKER

Depends on your definition of "woods". An oak hammock or cypress head where I can see 50 yards or more, yes. An area where vegetation keeps the birds out of view till they  are in gun range, no.