turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

It's starting!

Started by ghillie, November 16, 2012, 10:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghillie

Well, just as anticipated..we got a really good push of new ducks/geese up here from last weekends storms.  I got out all this week and all I can say is...WOW  Went to the Big Muddy in SW Iowa Tues and Wed.  Had realy good shoots and a spectacular days.  High migrators at 800-1000 ft up, peeling off and dropping into the spread.  Groups of 50-150, one after another.  They had to go three to four full revolutions to get down, cupped and committed.  Spent most of the day just watching the awesome show, giggling as my buddies had to work and I was solo.  Shot mostly green with a couple suzies just to finish the limit the first day, second day was strictly a green day.  I was being very picky with shots.  BIG fat, fully plumed birds for the most part...gorgeous!

Then yesterday, scouted some new local birds hitting a field pretty hard..secured permission and got some friends lined up.  I met these guys three years ago....today.  I was boat hunting alone and with my dog, there was also a group of fours guys in a boat, also on the same marsh, we had the place to ourselfs.  It was raining all day with a cold front pushing in behind it and a HUGE squall came up and the weather was down right life threatening.  Well, their vessel capsized in very deep and cold water.  It was dark and I was trying to get to the ramp as I was quite nervous.  I have never seen 4-5ft rollers on this marsh in the 35 years I've been hunting it.  Well, I missed the ramp as we had about 30ft of extra water from all of the rain that fall.  The ramp was actually under water and we were launching from a dip in the gravel road!  As I was turning around, I heard yelling and directed my spotlight towards the area that I had heard the yelling.  Low and behold I see four arms waving from the water.  I motor over to them and pull them into the boat, they are blue, confused and vomiting.  I get my heaters going in the boat and start heading back to the launch when my spotlight then gleans off the bottom of the capsized boat and I see four more arms waving from the water as they are trying to hang onto the boat.  I motor over to them and pick them up also.  By this time Fire Rescue, Sheriff's Dept and EMS are arriving but they can't get to us because of the flodded road.  I kick my MudBuddy in kick butt mode and plow through the flooded corn field to them.  They all were treated for hypothermia and did well.  Needless to say, they had some very grateful parents as there were all college students at the U of I.  One of the parents nominated me for a Governor's life saving award that I received at the state fair.  We have become good friends and hunt as often as we can together.  Last night was another...

TRKYHTR

Thats some good shootin. Love the Mallard pic by itself. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

savduck

Man, that is a pretty mallard all by himself. got the boat loaded. Getting after em in the morning.
Georgia Boy